The weather service will broadcast safety tips over weather radio during the week. Some of the tips include:
- Wear appropriate clothing and protective gear in case of capsizing to prevent risk of hypothermia.
- Have a plan of escape if there is a risk of thunderstorms.
- If thunderstorms occur, seek port and shelter immediately, if possible.
- Take note of marine weather advisories and forecasts for wind and wave heights.
- Buy and register Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons, or EPIRBs.