- 6-foot forward Mia Davis (St. Frances) leads the Owls in points and rebounds per game and 3-point field-goal percentage in her first season as a wing player.
- Joe Sherburne made four 3-pointers and scored 24 points and UMBC beat Air Force, 77-72, in double overtime on Friday in the Bimini Jam in the Bahamas in men's
- From the injuries to safeties Darnell Savage Jr. and Antwaine Richardson to the way Maryland interim coach Matt Canada will rotate his running backs, here are 5 things to look for from the Terps coming out of their bye week.
- From the way Maryland's defense attacks Minnesota's freshman quarterback to the way interim coach Matt Canada uses his own quarterbacks, here are five things to look for in the Big Ten opener Saturday in College Park.
- After having a difficult time getting its running game going in a loss to Temple, Maryland will try to get more production from just freshman Anthony McFarland in its Big Ten opener against Minnesota on Saturday.
- Unlike the previous week, when Maryland quarterback Kasim Hill and the offense recovered from a slow start in a 45-14 win at Bowling Green, the Terps and their redshirt freshman struggled offensively throughout a 35-14 loss at home to Temple.
- Maryland interim coach and offensive coordinator Matt Canada blamed himself for his team's lackluster performance in Saturday's 35-14 loss in home opener to Temple.
- The Maryland football teams had a lot to gain on Saturday but was thrown for a big loss by winless Temple in College Park.
- Maryland's unbeaten season came crashing down in a deflating 35-14 loss at home to previously winless Temple.
- Maryland will be looking to cut down on penalties and the keep pressure on defensively when the Terps play their home opener Saturday against Temple.
- In Loyola men's basketball's nonconference schedule, the Greyhounds will battle usual rivals and old foes. The highlight of the women's basketball nonconference schedule is Maryland, a game that will shadowed in last year's 114-45 collapse to the Terps.
- Seven new members will be inducted into the Edgewood High School Hall of Fame on Friday, Oct. 5 during the school’s homecoming.
- Acting Maryland athletic director Damon Evans, Temple AD Patrick Kraft and former Kansas State-Tennessee AD John Currie are expected to be interviewed this week for the Terps AD post.
- Christian Cuccinello had a career high seven goals to lead No. 7 Villanova to a 13-12 victory at Delaware Saturday. The Wildcats moved to 5-0 for the first
- Bryan Costabile (Mount Saint Joseph) scored the game-winner and Mikey Wynne (St. Paul's) scored a season-high five goals to lead No. 6 Notre Dame to a 14-13
- College Football Hall of Famer and former Navy head coach Wayne Hardin has passed away at the age of 91. Hardin suffered a massive stroke on Tuesday and passed away this morning.
Nick Mariano scored the game-winner with 1.6 seconds left to play to complete a comeback as No. 6
SyracuseHoward County basketball standouts including Rhonda Bates Corkeron, Karyn Swann, Kacy Valentine and Ramona Reid made names for themselves while playing and now their daughters Kalani Corkeron, Lyric and Jaelyn Swann, Satori Valentine and Imani Reid are taking the spotlight.As Notre Dame Prep senior Katie Railey sat with 11 of her lacrosse teammates preparing to sign their National Letters of Intent on Wednesday, she thought about many of them as little girls.St. Frances girls basketball senior Mia Davis, an All-Metro first-team forward and powerful rebounder, committed Wednesday to play for Temple.Andy DeMichiei scored the go-ahead goal with 5:55 left in the game and the No. 19 Marquette men's lacrosse team upset No. 1 Denver, 10-9, for its first Big EastJustin Huggins scored his game-high fifth goal in overtime as the Hartford men's lacrosse team upset No. 4 Albany, 11-10, in an America East semifinal Thursday night.Hat tricks from Emily Gillingham and freshman Carly Tellekamp lifted the No. 20 Towson women's lacrosse team to a 9-4 victory over No. 19 Johns Hopkins on Saturday.Five schools' ceremonies featured six or more athletes making their college choices at once, and lacrosse was the sport in the spotlight. Century, Liberty, Manchester Valley, Westminster, and Winters Mill combined for 20 boys and lacrosse players either signed national letters of intent or officially decided on where they'll be going after high school.Things have been quiet in College Park the past couple of weeks regarding the search for fired football coach Randy Edsall's successor. Athletic director Kevin Anderson, whose own legacy with the Terps will certainly be tied to this hire, has declined to discuss who he might be looking at since saying on the day of Edsall's firing that Maryland wanted a coach "to excite the fan base." Many names have surfaced in a variety of media outlets, a few that seem to have validity and others that appearIn his comments after coach Randy Edsall was fired, Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson said the schools is looking for its next football coach to be someone to "excite the fan base," particularly on the offensive side of the ball. College football is filled with young offensive minds right now, many of whom have recently ascended to head coaching jobs.The No. 13 Maryland men's soccer team played to a scoreless draw with No. 4 Notre Dame in men's soccer, and No. 12 UMBC rallies to tie Fairfield, 2-2.Since achieving the third-best start in school history with a 7-1 record, the Towson men's basketball team has lost two straight games.A solid night from senior guard Will Cummings and help from the Temple bench proved enough for the Owls to get by visiting Towson, 76-64, at the Liacouras Center in Philadelphia on Wednesday night.In some ways, losing to the fifth-ranked Buckeyes, 34-17, before a pro-Buckeye crowd of over 57,000 at M&T Bank Stadium should help the Midshipmen focus on their next opponent and the rest of their season. But Saturday's game at Temple could be even more difficult for Niumatalolo and his staff.On a night when Towson struggled to find its shooting touch, Jerrelle Benimon stepped up. The senior forward scored 21 of his game-high 32 points in the second half to help the Tigers complete a 75-69 comeback win against visiting Temple at SECU Arena on Wednesday night.In some ways, Prince George's is to Washington, D.C., as Brooklyn is to Manhattan when it comes to basketball. While the District has produced hoop legends such as Elgin Baylor and Dave Bing, Prince George's has several of its own, such as Kevin Durant and Ty Lawson, currently in the NBA. Laurel, which also includes parts of Anne Arundel and Howard County, also has its own share of basketball standouts.Jeff Barker on Notre Dame's move to the ACC, Don Markus on Randy Edsall facing Connecticut and Matt Bracken on Sam Cassell Jr.'s NCAA eligibility.Through its first two games, Maryland (2-0, 0-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) has eight turnovers (five fumbles, three interceptions). Each one was committed by a true freshman.The Terps disregarded their underdog status against Temple and held on -- barely -- for a 36-27 victory over the Owls despite surrendering most of a 23-point, third-quarter lead.