nrg energy incorporated
- Maryland hasn't had a new power plant of any significance built in over a decade — one reason it imports more electricity than almost any other state, racking up extra charges for consumers. But now new plants are coming.
- NRG Energy said Friday that it notified the region's grid operator of plans to retire all the coal-fired generation units at two of its Maryland power plants, facilities that are the subject of a water-pollution suit by state regulators.
- Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake got a rare opportunity to throw a question to former President Bill Clinton, courtesy of Bloomberg Businessweek -- and she used it to ask how the nation can stimulate a "more serious, bipartisan" discussion on infrastructure investment.
- A trio of environmental groups warned Monday they would sue the operator of three coal-fired power plants in Maryland for allegedly discharging excessive amounts of nutrient pollution into Chesapeake Bay rivers and trying to mask their violations by transferring pollution "credits" among facilities.
- The operator of three coal-fired power plants in Maryland has agreed to pay a total of $2.2 million in penalties and fix long-standing pollution problems at the landfills in Southern Maryland and Montgomery County where it disposes of the ash from those plants, according to court documents.
- District 1 candidates forum held in Beltsville, interim superintendent hosts education talk, Science Bowl competition begins, county takes on "Redskins Read Challenge"