north carolina central eagles
- Juliette Lawless scored a game-high 22 points, including nine during a crucial stretch in the fourth quarter, to help visiting Mount St. Mary’s earn a 63-47 victory over Fairleigh Dickinson in women’s basketball Monday.
- Isaiah Hart scored nine of Loyola Maryland’s final 12 points and the host Greyhounds held off Army West Point, 66-64, in men’s basketball Saturday.
- Reginald Gardner Jr. scored 20 points and his four 3-pointers sparked key second-half runs that powered sixth-seeded North Carolina Central past No. 11 seed
- With conference tournaments picking back up over the weekend, here’s what you need to know about the few local teams still standing.
- Phillip Carr had 13 points and 12 rebounds, Tiwian Kendley added 13 points and the Morgan State men's basketball team beat Delaware State, 61-47, on Monday night for the Hornets' 16th straight loss.
- Junior Robinson sank the winning layup with 15 seconds left in the extra period and Mount St. Mary's edged host St. Francis (Pa.), 81-80, in overtime on
- The Blast dug themselves a 4-0 first-quarter hole in Game 1 of the Major Arena Soccer League Eastern Division finals Saturday night and lost, 5-4, to the visiting Heat.
- The Redskins add wide receiver Terrelle Pryor to a one-year contract and are said to be considering NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock for their general manager job.
Tyler Jones scored 23 points, Logan McIntosh hit the game-winning layup with 12 seconds to go, and No. 5
UMESPatrick Cole and Dajuan Graf combined for 52 points as the North Carolina Central men's basketball team picked up its eighth straight win, beating host Coppin State, 86-77.Morgan State played North Carolina Central in a battle for first place in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference on Saturday. However, the Bears started slowly, struggled throughout the first half and despite coming back in the game's final 14 minutes, they could not catch the Eagles.Will Darley (Dulaney) scored a season-high 29 points, including seven 3-pointers, as visiting UMBC earned an 84-68 men's basketball victory over Hartford (5-12, 0-2) on Wednesday night.Braden Holtby made 30 saves for his second straight shutout and fifth of the season and the Capitals beat the Senators, 1-0, on Saturday night for their fifth straight victory.Morgan State lost, 21-17, Saturday to favored North Carolina Central on a windswept field at Hughes Stadium. That the Bears (2-4) fought back from a two-touchdown deficit against a Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference power, and actually led late in the game, made the outcome that much more painful.John Davis scored 14 points and had eight rebounds, William Adala Moto had 13 rebounds, and host Towson beat Elon, 67-56, on Saturday.Juan'ya Green scored 21 points with 10 assists and Rokas Gustys made the winning basket to lift host Hofstra to an 84-82 win over Towson on Thursday night.The deluge of snow produced by Winter Storm Jonas last weekend has sent Baltimore-area college basketball teams scrambling to find open dates to reschedule games.William Adala Moto scored 16 points and added 13 rebounds to help lead host Towson to an 83-61 win over Sacred Heart (1-6) on Saturday.Shatori Walker-Kimbrough scored 18 points and No. 5 Maryland never trailed in an 86-43 blowout of Central Connecticut State on Saturday.A bye gave the Bears a free weekend, but with a 3-2 record in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, they still find themselves trailing four programs in the standings. One of those teams is Saturday's opponent, the Wildcats.Nigel Macauley kicked a 30-yard field goal after a fumble recovery in the fourth quarter to give host North Carolina Central a 20-17 victory over Morgan State on Saturday.The Bears' 20-10 loss at home to Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference rival Hampton a week ago hurt on two levels. Dropping to 3-1 in the league, Morgan State was unable to take advantage of Bethune-Cookman falling, 24-14, at North Carolina A&T and sliding to 5-2 overall and 3-1 in the MEAC.Moses Skillon will open the upcoming Morgan State football campaign at Air Force on Sept. 5 as quarterback. Every rep Skillon took during camp was with the first offense, while redshirt senior Seth Higgins — Skillon's closest competitor — has worked with the first and second units.Morgan State was predicted to finish fifth in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, according to a preseason poll of conference head coaches and sports information directors released Friday.Jessica Long made an off-balance jumper as time expired Wednesday to give eighth-seeded UMES a 52-50 victory over top seed Hampton in the MEAC quarterfinals in Norfolk, Va.Sterling Smith had 14 points and Coppin State beat Bethune-Cookman, 64-60, Tuesday in the first round of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference basketball tournament in Norfolk, Va.Addison Spruill scored 26 points to help visiting UNC Wilmington hold off a spirited upset bid by Towson, 73-69, on Saturday.The new year for UMES began with a loss, but Wednesday night¿s 69-60 defeat at NJIT won¿t diminish the program¿s accomplishment thus far.Senior forward Karrington Ward scored 23 points and blocked six shots, leading Eastern Michigan to an 87-64 victory over Coppin State on Tuesday night in Ypsilanti.Helped by a freshman class filled with long-range shooters, as well the arrival of North Carolina A&T transfer Richaud Pack, the Terps have a number of outside-shooting options. They'll need them all Saturday.For the second straight game, Maryland quieted a quality upstart early, putting North Carolina Central away midway through the first half Wednesday and cruising to a 67-56 victory before an announced crowd of 8,723 at Xfinity Center.Jordan Parks scored a game-high 20 points as the visiting North Carolina Central Eagles held off the UMES Hawks, 68-63, on Friday night in the MEAC opener for both teams at Hytche Arena in Princess Anne.