- Surprise, surprise, all four division champions lost in the first round for the first time in major four North American pro sports history, the teams that played in last year's Cup Final are out and the team that finished 21 points ahead of the rest of the NHL got swept.
- If the Capitals repeat as Stanley Cup champions, it will largely be due to Brooks Orpik’s influence on the ice and in the dressing room.
- Wednesday night's 6-3 defeat to the Maple Leafs extended the Capitals' losing streak to seven games — and Washington's free fall will now be paused by a week-long break.
- Crystal Dunn, a rising star with the top-ranked U.S. women's national soccer team, has left the Washington Spirit to sign with English club Chelsea, the second prominent player to depart since the National Women's Soccer League final three months ago.
- Lamont Brown III had 13 carries for 113 yards and two rushing touchdowns to lead Morgan State to a 35-24 victory over host Savannah State in its season finale Saturday.