- Here's another subplot in the build-up to what could be a free-for-all in the AL East this summer: Almost every team in the division can play the nobody-believed-in-us card.
- Shortstop J.J. Hardy, center fielder Adam Jones and catcher Matt Wieters were named American League Gold Glove winners at their positions on Tuesday night. It's the first time since 1998 that three Orioles have earned baseball's annual benchmark of fielding excellence in the same season.
- He has more hits than Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, a higher career batting average than Mickey Mantle and a higher postseason average than Joe DiMaggio. And it won't be long before Derek Jeter is a new lord of New York Yankees lore.
- The Yankees unloaded on Brad Bergesen Thursday night, scoring five runs in the first on the way to a 13-2 thrashing of the Orioles. ... The Orioles placed the right side of their infield -- Brian Roberts and Derrek Lee -- on the disabled list. ... The Orioles continued to shake-up their roster as they demoted Troy Patton and Chris Jakubauskas and called up Nolan Reimold and Ryan Adams. ... Derrick Mason says that the Ravens' workouts at Towson will be light.
- Notebook: Orioles' Kevin Gregg hangs on to closer's role. Buck Showalter says RHP has 'pitched pretty well' so far, but Koji Uehara will factor in once he gets back to full strength