iron and steel
- Sparrows Point Terminal, the Hanover-based firm that owns the site of the former steel mill, has changed its name to Tradepoint Atlantic, a move the company hopes will enhance its global appeal but that evokes feelings of loss.
- Worthington Industries warned state officials Thursday that it will close its 54-employee steel processing plant in Essex next year, an apparent ripple effect casualty of the nearby Sparrows Point steel mill's collapse.
- An out-of-state steelmaker has bought the most valuable piece of the Sparrows Point plant to use as spare parts, likely signaling the death knell for hopes that the steel mill would be purchased by an operator and reopened.
- The Sparrows Point steel mill is so intertwined with parts of eastern Baltimore County that everyone in the area seems to be affected — or knows someone who is.
- Sparrows Point Country Club, like the steel mill, has hit hard times. The club is considering selling off land to raise money for overdue maintenance and renovation projects.