An early morning fire on Littlestown Pike displaced five occupants of two second story apartments, according to the Pleasant Valley Fire Company. None of the residents or firefighters were injured. The American Red Cross was summoned to help the displaced occupants.
The Baltimore City Council's public safety committee questioned fire officials about concerns raised by the union over the agency's resources and readiness to respond to blazes. Council members also asked about staffing policies and how the agency investigates misconduct allegations.
A mayday call went out at 4:27 a.m. Monday from an Aberdeen volunteer firefighter who had fallen through the floor while searching for occupants of a home on North Stepney Road. He was rescued in minutes.
The Baltimore City Council plans a hearing with fire department leaders after an aging truck caught fire and amid warnings from the firefighters' union about the agency's readiness. Councilman Brandon Scott says the hearing will be the first in a series to keep a closer watch on the department.
A working house fire in the 3900 block of Ridge Road in Taylorsville Wednesday was brought under control in about 20 minutes. No humans suffered injuries, but five pet cats and a dog died as a result of the fire.
A “MAYDAY” call went out from a house fire in East Baltimore on Saturday morning after a firefighter fell through steps leading to the home’s basement, but all personnel escaped unhurt, the Baltimore Fire Department said.
A fire in the 2800 block of Lawndale Road Wednesday afternoon is believed to have originated from a heating blanket inside a doghouse. The spread from the doghouse to the home was minor and there were no injuries reported, a fire company spokesman said.
Plan and practice several different escape routes from each room, and identify a safe place to meet outside. Teach children never to go back into a burning building, and to call the fire department from a neighbor’s home or a cell phone outside the home.
Two people were injured, and one of them was in critical condition, after a fire broke out in a Dundalk apartment Tuesday night. The fire started in a first-floor apartment in the 2800 block of Dunlawn Court.
Donations are coming in steadily for a Havre de Grace family displaced by a fire that happened Sunday morning at their house on Marshall Court. The Susquehanna Hose Company, the city's volunteer fire company, is collecting donations.
A bedroom fire at an apartment on Main Street in Manchester left an elderly man cold and scared Wednesday. Philip Gray, 86, who had just moved in with his family that morning, was left relatively unscathed. Fire officials quelled the fire quickly, preventing significant structural damage.
A state prison system spokesman says an inmate at the Maryland Correctional Institution for Women is expected to be charged with arson. Authorities found a lighter in her cell after a fire broke out, causing three correctional officers to be treated Sunday night for smoke inhalation.