energy and resource industries
- A state-run venture capital program has invested $500,000 in Blue Pillar, an energy management system firm that is moving its headquarters from Indianapolis to Frederick.
- When renewable energy tax credits, rebates and grants have refueled a serious interest in the underground energy source, this heat pump that uses water instead of air has taken a foothold in Howard County as a result of its long-term financial benefits, even after the demise of a local tax incentive.
- The Obama administration took a step closer Friday to allowing oil and gas exploration off the mid-Atlantic and south Atlantic coasts, drawing praise from the energy industry and criticism from environmentalists.
- Facing the challenge of keeping a historic mansion warm for its elderly residents while reining in costs, the nonprofit organization that operates an 18th century house in Annapolis are turning to 21st century techniques. Chase Home is waiting for the results of its first energy audit.
- Empower Maryland program offers 50 percent rebates of up to $3,150 on retrofit projects that make homes more energy efficient by upgrading poor insulation, sealing leaks in air ducts and fixing cracks in walls and around windows and doors.
- The 2012 International Energy Conservation Code, as adopted by Harford County, takes effect July 1. To help provide better understanding of the concepts of the code, the Harford County Department of Inspections, Licenses and Permits is hosting a seminar on the fundamentals of the 2012 International Energy Conservation Code
- The energy audit program is a part of the county's efforts to reduce its carbon footprint. The county published a greenhouse gas inventory in 2010 that showed residential electricity and gas account for more than 25 percent of the of the county's overall footprint.