coppin state eagles
- Braden Holtby made 30 saves for his second straight shutout and fifth of the season and the Capitals beat the Senators, 1-0, on Saturday night for their fifth straight victory.
- The Maryland men's and women's lacrosse teams lead the way for local schools in Inside Lacrosse's 2017 Face-Off Yearbook rankings.
- Will Miller scored 16 points off the bench to lead five players in double figures as host Mount St. Mary's raced past Coppin State, 87-49, on Thursday night.
- The Eagles likely weren't an opponent considered as part of the national schedule ranking, and the Mountaineers made that quite evident with their 87-49 rout.
Sarita Condie made a 3-pointer with 1.3 seconds left in regulation to force overtime, but the Navy women's basketball team was outscored 8-4 in the extra pe
- Jarius Lyles scored 32 points and had 20 rebounds as host UMBC finally pulled away from The Citadel in the second overtime for a 120-111 victory Monday night.
- Dejuan Clayton made three free throws with 0.6 of a second left in regulation to force overtime, and Coppin State earned its first victory of the season, 89-83 over visiting Goldey-Beacom.
- ShawnDre' Jones scored 19 points, including eight straight free throws in the final minute, to help host Richmond hold off UMBC, 78-75, on Saturday night.
- Jarred Jones (John Carroll) scored 15 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead host Loyola Maryland to a 64-57 win over Mount St. Mary's on Saturday.
- The Georgetown men's basketball team removed any potential drama down the stretch against a second straight winless opponent from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, overwhelming Coppin State early for a 96-44 victory Wednesday night.
Andre Walker scored 24 points, including the winning layup with 0.5 of a second remaining, to give Loyola Maryland a 71-70 victory over host Stony Brook in
- Keith Shivers' basket with 43 seconds left gave Coppin State its only lead of the game at 77-76 before a decisive three-point play.
Jarius Lyles scored 29points on 11-for-19 shooting and sparked a late run that helped host UMBC rally to beat Kennesaw State, 93-85, on Saturday.
Chris Wray had 21 points and 10 rebounds and his dunk with a second left in overtime lifted Mount St. Mary's over host George Mason, 78-76, on Friday night.
- Phillip Carr scored 21 points and pulled down 13 rebounds and Morgan State cruised to an 88-73 win over Division II Wilmington on Thursday night.
Jairus Lyles hit four 3-pointers and scored 24 points Wednesday night as host UMBC cruised to a 90-68 win over Delaware State.
The Retrievers (3-0) ha
- Will Darley scored 24 points and made 5 of 6 3-pointers, Jarius Lyles scored 23 points and had six assists, and the UMBC men's basketball team held off host UMES, 77-73, on Sunday.
- Jairus Lyles scored 18 points and the host Retrievers tied a school record with 17 3-pointers to cruise over the Blazers (0-1) in coach Ryan Odom's debut Friday night.
- Joey Hurley of Annapolis took first place last Saturday in the third annual Rocktober Cup, a catch-and-release striped bass tournament.
- Orioles closer Zach Britton finished eighth in Sporting News' player voting for the Major League Baseball Player of the Year.
- Sophomore midfielder Amar Sejdic scored in the 26th minute to give the No. 1 Maryland men's soccer team a 1-0 victory over host No. 22 West Virginia (6-4-1) to stay unbeaten.
- Marylanders Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky, Tatyana McFadden and Brad Snyder won Team USA Awards at the United States Olympic Committee's live taping of its Best of the Games ceremony Wednesday night at Georgetown in Washington.
- U.S. wheelchair racer Tatyana McFadden of Clarksville earned her second gold medal of the Rio Paralympics with a win in the women's 1,500-meter T54.
- Loyola Maryland outscored second-seeded Bucknell 36-16 in the second and third quarters to build a lead of as many as 20 points Friday night in West Point, N.Y., and the third-seeded Greyhounds advanced to their first-ever Patriot League championship game with a 65-53 semifinal win over the Bison in women's basketball.
- Christian Kessee scored 22 points and Terry Harris had his ninth double double with 21 points and 10 rebounds to lead visiting Coppin State (8-21, 6-10 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) to a 72-62 win over Delaware State (7-24, 5-11) on Thursday night.
- Delante Jones scored 18 points, Andrija Matic made the game-winning free throw with one second left, and host American beat Loyola Maryland, 67-66, in the season finale for both teams Saturday. Each school now heads into the Patriot League tournament, which will begin Tuesday.
- Trailing by seven with 47 seconds left to play, the Bears scored eight of the final nine points in regulation, including Andre Horne's 3-pointer from the corner with one second left to force overtime, before pulling out a 74-72 win before an announced 2,887 on homecoming at Coppin State.
- Cedric Blossom scored 20 points, eclipsing the 1,000-point mark in his career, and host Morgan State earned a 72-51 win over North Carolina A&T (8-20, 5-8 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) on Monday night.
- Juan'ya Green scored 21 points with 10 assists and Rokas Gustys made the winning basket to lift host Hofstra to an 84-82 win over Towson on Thursday night.
- Alexis Carter scored a career-high 23 points to lead the host Mount St. Mary's women's basketball team (7-18, 5-9) past Fairleigh Dickinson (10-17, 7-7) on Monday night, 71-55.
- Mike Morsell scored a career-high 34 points on 11-for-17 shooting from the field to lead Towson past William & Mary, 99-82, on Saturday, creating a three-way tie for third place in the Colonial Athletic Association.
- Andre Walker scored a career-high 31 points, including the winning free throws with four seconds left, and Loyola Maryland defeated host Army West Point, 100-99, in double overtime Saturday.
- Rasean Simpson scored 11 of his 18 points in the first half, while Kyle Thomas added 13 points as Morgan State rolled to a 83-43 victory before a raucous 3,878 at Hill Field House. It was the Bears' first win over Coppin State since March 14, 2014.
- Byron Hawkins scored 23 points, including the go-ahead 3-pointer late in the game, to lift Towson past host Drexel, 77-70, on Thursday night.
- Keith Coutreyer had spent 13 seasons as a basketball coach at Laurel High, with the last eight as the head coach of the Spartans varsity boys team. But the long-time Laurel resident had a decision to make in 2008 when Kevin Nickelberry was named the head men's coach at Division I Hampton University in Virginia.
- Tyler Hubbard scored 18 points and made all 10 of his free throws to help host Loyola Maryland beat American University 75-67 Wednesday night in a Patriot League opener.
- Tim Bond Jr., the Baltimore resident who powered the Knights to the Class 3A state championship in 2014, scored 14 points and Eastern Michigan outlasted host Coppin State, 73-62, before an announced 813 at the Physical Education Complex in Baltimore on Monday night.