- Senior attacker Kristen Gaudian and senior midfielder Elena Romesburg combined for nine goals to lead No. 4 James Madison to a 16-10 win over No. 7 Towson to claim the Colonial Athletic Association women's lacrosse championship.
- Caroline Steele (Severn) had a game-high five goals and Megan Taylor (Glenelg) made 11 saves and No. 2 Maryland women's lacrosse outlasted Johns Hopkins,
- Host Princeton used a 5-1 run in the third quarter and shutdown defense on No. 6 Cornell's leading scorer to pull off a 14-8 upset in men's lacrosse Saturday.
- Brendan Bomberry (two goals) scored the game-winner on an assist from Brendan Curry (two goals) with 3:08 left in overtime to lift No. 7 Syracuse in a 13-12
- Tiwian Kendley made two free throws with seven second left as seventh-seeded Morgan State (13-18) won a 78-77 upset victory over second-seeded Bethune-Cookman
- Just over two years ago, Kurt Rawlings, a then John Carroll senior quarterback, was celebrating with his team, an MIAA B Conference football championship and an undefeated football season.
- Arena Football League playoff seeding will be on the line tonight when the Brigade play their regular-season finale against the Washington Valor.
- Emily Hawryschuk scored four goals and the No. 11 Syracuse women's lacrosse team earned a 13-12 upset of No. 2 North Carolina on Saturday.
- The Maryland women's basketball team will play South Carolina next season in College Park as part of a two-year home-and-home series with the recently crowned national champion, both schools announced Thursday.
Dylan Alderman and Josh Byrne each had a hat trick and
Hofstrastayed perfect and upset No. 4Zoe Stukenberg and Caroline Wannen scored five goals each as No. 1 Maryland won, 21-13, over visiting Boston College (6-3) in women's lacrosse Wednesday.Howard County basketball standouts including Rhonda Bates Corkeron, Karyn Swann, Kacy Valentine and Ramona Reid made names for themselves while playing and now their daughters Kalani Corkeron, Lyric and Jaelyn Swann, Satori Valentine and Imani Reid are taking the spotlight.
South Carroll's Athletic Hall of Fame is about to add five new members.
The Class of 2017 — Dale Green, Jeff Franklin, Danette Johnson, Ruth LamStephen Kelly (Calvert Hall) scored the go-ahead goal and cousin Patrick Kelly (Calvert Hall) added one for insurance to help the No. 13 North Carolina men'sConnor Cannizzaro scored the winning goal with 2:58 to play to lift the No. 4 Denver men's lacrosse team (9-1, 2-0 Big East Conference) to a 12-11 victory over visiting No. 18 Villanova (6-4, 0-2) in snowy conditions Saturday.Brionna Jones (Aberdeen) had 22 points and 14 rebounds and the No. 6 Maryland women beat Pittsburgh, 70-49, on Saturday night in the final game of the Paradise Jam at St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands.Ever since John Fitzgerald started getting recruited by Ivy League football programs, the Gilman senior was pretty sure he would go to one of them. His 3.5 GPA and his football skills as a receiver who¿s not afraid to block gave him options and he narrowed his list to Cornell, Columbia, Princeton and Yale before committing to Cornell last week.Jen Giles' ends her girls lacrosse high school career at Mt. Hebron by leading the Vikings to two consecutive county championships. She has been named the Howard County girls lacrosse player of the year.Maryland and Loyola Maryland had a combined 11 players honored as All-Regional players by the Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association.The Mountaineers lost their first Northeast Conference game to Wagner and then the improvements began to show in the final scores. They won four straight games for the first time since 2011 and clinched a berth in the NEC Tournament after missing out last season.The Maryland 2016 football recruiting class got a dose of local flavor Thursday with an oral commitment from South Carroll junior lineman Brian Plummer.Emily Kenul had four assists and Alexis Maffucci added a hat trick to lead the No. 20 Johns Hopkins women to a 12-6 lacrosse win over host UMBC on Wednesday.Oakland Mills quarterback David Pindell headlines Howard County all-county offense after guiding Scorpions to turnaround season.Jordan Parks scored a game-high 20 points as the visiting North Carolina Central Eagles held off the UMES Hawks, 68-63, on Friday night in the MEAC opener for both teams at Hytche Arena in Princess Anne.Guard Eric Laster made a jumper with one second left in regulation and Loyola Maryland ended a three-game losing streak in men's basketball with a 64-62 victory over host Columbia on Tuesday night.Last year, the powerhouse teams in Howard County volleyball were apparent from the beginning of the season all the way until the end. Howard, led by eventual Player of the Year Sydney Biniak, and Glenelg, led by three-time first-team selection Morgan Perry, were tabbed as the favorites to contend for a county title entering the season, and that's exactly how things panned out. Howard defeated Glenelg in five sets for the county championship on the last day of the regular season. This fall, things appear much murkier as the season gets underway. "It's a new season. The majority of our county championship team has graduated. We will strive to achieve that same level of success, but we are not here to compare ourselves to the past," Howard coach Grant Scott said. "My bet is that it will be another very competitive season with multiple teams having a chance to win the county title."Penn State football coach James Franklin rolled through Baltimore as part of the Nittany Lions' annual 'Coaches Caravan' on Wednesday.Seniors Sammy Cermack, Taylor D'Amore and Sarah Taylor combined for 17 points to lead No. 7 Johns Hopkins to a 14-5 win over host Old Dominion on Wednesday.Kerrin Maurer completed her hat trick with 26 seconds left in overtime as Duke upsets North Carolina, 7-6, on Wednesday night in the first women's lacrosse game at Kenan Stadium.Kelly McPartland broke a 7-all tie on a free-position goal with 1:39 left as No. 2 Maryland beat host Princeton, 8-7, in women's lacrosse Wednesday night.LaQuinton Ross logged his first career double double with 14 points and a game-high 11 rebounds as No. 11 Ohio State beat visiting Morgan State, 89-50, on Saturday.Penn State has announced that men's lacrosse volunteer assistant coach David Shriver (Boys' Latin) will serve as director of operations for the 2014 season.Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Ind., has appointed former Washington College coach Terry Corcoran as its first lacrosse coach. Corcoran brings 31 seasons of experience as a head coach to a Little Giants program that will move from club to varsity status in 2014-15.North Carolina senior midfielder Davey Emala (Gilman) and Maryland sophomore attackman Jay Carlson (St. Paul¿s) were named Atlantic Coast Conference men's lacrosse Co-Offensive Players of the Week, as announced Tuesday by the conference, while Terps goalkeeper Niko Amato was recognized as the Defensive Player of the Week.