- Nicklas Backstrom scored 1:36 into overtime, helping the Washington Capitals beat the Boston Bruins, 4-3, to avert a disastrous defeat Wednesday night.
- A Department of Defense policy change has cleared the way for athletes from the service academies to pursue professional sports careers immediately upon graduation.
- Next week, the Mids will play Army West Point at M&T Bank Stadium and the conditions could not be better for the Black Knights to end their 14-game losing streak in the legendary rivalry.
- The Georgetown men's basketball team removed any potential drama down the stretch against a second straight winless opponent from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, overwhelming Coppin State early for a 96-44 victory Wednesday night.
- As the Wizards held off Sacramento, 101-95, in overtime, Beal scored 31 points and reached career-high figures with seven 3-pointers on 13 attempts.
- Lamont Brown III had 13 carries for 113 yards and two rushing touchdowns to lead Morgan State to a 35-24 victory over host Savannah State in its season finale Saturday.
- There was no wild comeback by the road team as Rutgers did to Maryland in College Park two years ago. There was no ruining the home team’s bowl chances as the
- The photo is tucked away in a box at home, a frayed reminder of Bill Stromberg's life before he became a suit and the CEO of investment giant T. Rowe Price. It's a picture of Stromberg, then a wide receiver for Johns Hopkins, catching a pass with a defender on his back. The reception, the 254th of his college career, set an NCAA College Division (a precursor to Division III) mark and put Stromberg in the record book.
COLLEGE PARK — A late-season college football matchup between teams on four- and eight-game losing streaks in which they were outscored by a total of
- Stanford swimmer Katie Ledecky of Bethesda broke two NCAA records, as well as her own American record in the 1,650-yard freestyle, at a meet at Ohio State.
Nov. 22, 1998: Priest Holmes runs for 227 yards,
Ray Lewisintercepts two passes and theLoyola Maryland ranked tied for third out of 351 NCAA Division I schools in the organization's latest Graduation Success Rate report published Tuesday.Top-seeded Maryland defeated No. 3 seed Wisconsin, 2-1, in the Big Ten men's soccer championship game Sunday in Westfield, Ind., to win its fifth straight conference tournament crown, including Atlantic Coast Conference titles in 2012 and 2013.Johns Hopkins built a 41-7 halftime lead en route to a 48-28 victory over visiting McDaniel in Centennial Conference football action Saturday at Homewood Field in Baltimore.Otto Porter scored a career-high 34 points and had 14 rebounds in the Wizards' 118-93 rout of the visiting Celtics on Wednesday night.Being back at Michigan Stadium certainly brought back some pleasant memories for first-year Maryland coach and former Wolverines defensive coordinator DJ DurkinThe Terps will go into Michigan Stadium two years after beating the Brady Hoke-coached Wolverines as more than four-touchdown underdogs to play a team that Jim Harbaugh has turned into legitimate national championship contenders.Jay Beagle scored with 30 seconds left in the third period to lift the Washington Capitals to a 3-2 victory over the Winnipeg Jets for their third straight win.A little more than 13 months after sitting in the visitors' coaching box for Michigan's 28-0 shutout win at Maryland, DJ Durkin will stand on the visiting sideline Saturday at Michigan Stadium in his ninth game as Terps head coach.Joe Flacco had ample opportunity to reminisce about his two years as a Blue Hen as he was one of 10 former athletes and coaches inducted into the University of Delaware Athletics Hall of Fame at a ceremony that took place at the Bob Carpenter Center.1. Do you think Indiana’s 3-1 start and its win over Michigan State were a little deceiving considering the schedule and the fact that the Spartans areA year after he set numerous NCAA records, garnered a groundswell of support for college football's highest individual honor and finished leading Navy to an unprecedented run of success, Keenan Reynolds is working on his skill set in near anonymity.A little more than midway through his final year of eligibility, and perhaps his final season of playing organized football, the hard-nosed, tight-lipped Perry Hills is the unquestioned leader of a Maryland team that will become bowl-eligible with one more win.Washington Redskins tight end Jordan Reed said he knew he had suffered a concussion during a game against the Ravens on Oct. 9 and didn't tell anyone.With an 0-2 record in the Colonial Athletic Association, Towson needs to start a winning streak to have any chance of making the tournament.Charlie Wysocki, who left Maryland as its leading rusher in 1981, is part of a class action suit of 43 former college football players against the NCAA and aThe Cumberland native and former Fort Hill star finished with a career-high 204 yards and two touchdowns on seven carries Saturday.The game was called "Throw 'em up, bust 'em up," and Timmy Jernigan believed it was as close as he was going to get to organized football. All it required was a ball and a small patch of grass in the Jacksonville, Fla. apartment complex where Jernigan lived.Wade Lees walked off the plane last January to begin his new life as a football player at Maryland wearing the same clothes as when he left he his mother's home in the suburbs of Melbourne, Australia.Carter Blackburn, Chris Simms and Jenny Dell are not household names for CBS. But that's what you get when you have two smaller market teams playing.Zack Bednarczyk threw three touchdown passes and Rob Rolle returned an interception 100 yards for a score to lead host Villanova to a 40-21 victory over Towson in the Colonial Athletic Association opener for both teams Saturday.Durkin knew that Saturday's game against Central Florida at Bright House Networks Stadium was going to be its toughest to date this season. It was.Dukrin and Frost are among the 28 new head coaches in Football Bowl Subdivision, more than half of them first-timers on the college level.
COLLEGE PARK — As a senior at nearby Eleanor Roosevelt High, Maurice Shelton made some unusual recruiting trips for a 6-foot-2, 290-pound offensive liMaryland will pay defensive coordinator Andy Buh more than $600,000 a year for the next three years, according to his employment contract.