casper r taylor jr
- State Sen. Catherine E. Pugh remained more than 2,500 votes ahead of former Mayor Sheila Dixon on Wednesday as city elections officials worked to count the final ballots in the Democratic primary for mayor.
- Del. Kumar P. Barve of Montgomery County rolled out more than two dozen endorsements from state lawmakers on Monday -- including House Speaker Michael E. Busch, a longtime ally -- in his bid for the the state's 8th Congressional District.
- Representatives of the two competing bidders descended on the long struggling Rocky Gap resort in Western Maryland Tuesday afternoon and presented vying plans to transform a state-backed development failure into a revenue generating casino.
- William Donald Schaefer, the dominant political figure of the past four decades of Maryland history, died yesterday after a "do-it-now" career that included four terms as Baltimore mayor, two as the state's governor and two as comptroller.
- Saying his work in Baltimore is incomplete, Mayor Martin O'Malley announced yesterday that he will not be a candidate for governor this year - clearing the way for Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend to run unopposed for the Democratic nomination.