canisius golden griffins
- Previewing Friday’s NCAA Division I women’s lacrosse first-round games for the teams from Maryland: Fairfield at Loyola, Johns Hopkins vs. Navy at Loyola, Wagner at Towson.
- Here are knee-jerk reactions from the coaches for Maryland, Johns Hopkins and Loyola Maryland men’s lacrosse regarding their opponents in the first round of the NCAA Division I tournament.
- Senior attacker Megan Whittle scored her 268th career goal with 24:16 remaining in the first half to become the Maryland women's lacrosse team's all-time goal leader Sunday.
- The Maryland’s women’s lacrosse team picked up a major transfer for next season in former Canisius midfielder Erica Evans, one of 25 Tewaaraton Award semifinalists a year ago.
- Taylor Hensh started a 6-0 run in the first half and No. 3 Maryland beat visiting Georgetown, 17-5, Wednesday night in women's lacrosse.
- For the fourth time in five seasons, the Loyola Maryland-Virginia men's lacrosse game was decided by one goal as the No. 15 Cavaliers rallied past the No. 10
- Junior Kylie Ohlmiller broke the NCAA Division I single-season points record with a six-point afternoon and senior Dorrien Van Dyke had a career-high seven
- Maryland's women's lacrosse team, the only undefeated team in Division I, earned the No. 1-seeded spot in the NCAA tournament for the fifth straight year when
Let's spin around the country and take a glimpse at 10 league races. Teams are jockeying for position in their conference to qualify for the league tourname
Nick Mariano scored the game-winner with 1.6 seconds left to play to complete a comeback as No. 6
SyracuseCaroline Wannen broke out for four goals and three assists as the No. 1 Maryland women's lacrosse team beat No. 2 Florida, 14-4, on Saturday.Mikey Wynne (St. Paul's) scored three of his four goals in the fourth quarter to help the No. 1 Notre Dame men's lacrosse team pull away from No. 8 Maryland, 9-4, at the Pacific Coast Shootout on Saturday in Costa Mesa, Calif.Top-ranked Notre Dame overcame a 2-0 deficit to earn a fifth straight victory with a 14-7 win over No. 15 Marquette in men's lacrosse Tuesday.In ranking all 69 Division I men's lacrosse teams, a handful are contenders, but it's the teams in the middle of the pack that find out how important one-goal games are.Loyola Maryland punched its ticket to the second round of the NCAA women's lacrosse tournament with a 10-4 win over Massachusetts (18-2) on Friday night, pulling away by scoring six of the game's seven second-half goals.The Atlantic Coast Conference, led by overall No. 1 seed Maryland, dominated the top spots in the NCAA Division I women's championship bracket announced Sunday night, with six teams among the eight seeded spots in the 26-team field.Matt Kavanaugh tied a single-game school record with seven goals to power No. 5 Notre Dame past host Ohio State, 13-7, on Tuesday in men's lacrosse.Freshman attacker Taylor Poplawski led No. 3 Syracuse (7-1) with a career-high four goals in a 17-12 win over visiting No. 4 Florida (8-2) on Saturday.Surrounded by family and friends, Long Reach senior Vincent Valenza signed a National Letter of Intent Friday afternoon to play lacrosse at Canisius College next year. Valenza becomes the first Long Reach boys lacrosse player to sign a NLI with a Division I college.Navy earned its first seeded spot in the NCAA women's Division I lacrosse tournament and Loyola's late surge was enough for an at-large bid when the selections to the newly-expanded 26-team bracket were announced Sunday night.The Towson men's lacrosse team withstands a rally from No. 9 host Penn State to win, 11-10, and claim its first CAA title since 2005 and an NCAA berth.No. 19 Connecticut took a 6-4 lead into halftime and never relinquished it, upsetting No. 7 Notre Dame at home, 10-7, in women's lacrosse Sunday. The Huskies (13-1, 5-1 Big East) won all their home games in a season for the first time in program history. The Fighting Irish (11-3, 5-3) scored just three goals in the second half, two by Lauren Sullivan.Senior attacker Alex Aust set a Maryland single-game assist record with seven and finished with 11 points as the No. 1 Terps dispatched visiting UMBC, 17-10, on Tuesday night.Loyola shot 7-for-17 from the free-throw line in the second half, and 12-for-26 in the game, and host Marist took advantage to pull away for a 69-64 victory Sunday afternoon.Robert Olson scored a career-high 27 points and a pair of Loyola freshmen helped spark a second-half rally Thursday night, but the Greyhounds (15-8, 7-4 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) lost, 91-79, to Canisius (14-8, 7-4).Mount St. Mary's led by eight points almost halfway through the second half but let visiting Wagner rally for a 52-50 win Thursday night at Knott Arena.The Philadelphia Wings of the National Lacrosse League today acquired former Johns Hopkins All-American Paul Rabil from the Rochester Knighthawks, as part of a blockbuster six-player trade that sends Wings forward Dan Dawson and defenseman Paul Dawson to the Knighthawks.Loyola long-stick midfielder Scott Ratliff will be on Denver's mind in Saturday's NCAA men's lacrosse quarterfinal at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.Despite being the No. 1 seed, Loyola could face a tough road through NCAA lacrosse tournament. The Greyhounds are looking to become first top seed to win the championship since 2006.For the bulk of the field, entrance to the tournament is based on building a strong season-long resume. This year, however, for Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference champion Canisius, earning a spot meant finding a spark at just the right time.The Loyola Greyhounds, who captured their first Eastern College Athletic Conference tournament crown and are ranked third in the latest Sun rankings, will meet Canisius (6-7), the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference champion, in the first round.