archdiocese of washington
- Every Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, around six in the evening, eight adults gather in a garage in the Allview Estates neighborhood in Columbia. The garage, which has been converted to a gym, serves as the training ground for this small group of serious athletes — powerlifters who spend two hours squatting, bench pressing and dead lifting their way to great health.
- A church that grew up with Maryland City will celebrate its golden anniversary in a big way on Sept. 20. Parishioners and clergy at Resurrection of Our Lord Roman Catholic Church have planned an afternoon Mass followed by a semi-formal gala at Laurel Park that evening.
- Baltimore Immigration Court, facing an increase in the number of cases involving immigrant children who crossed the border illegally, is expediting reviews to more quickly decide whether the children should be deported, according to attorneys with clients before the court.
- Sister Karen Lester, a Pallottine nun who graduated from Pallotti High School in 1955, has been teaching at the Laurel school for 50 years.
- Mid-Maryland Mission of Mercy, a free dental clinic, took place Aug. 2 and 3 at Pallotti High School in Laurel. Over 800 adults took advantage of these dental hygiene, restorative and oral surgery services at no cost.
- Pope Francis surprised the Catholic faithful on Monday by saying the Roman Catholic Church shouldn't marginalize gay priests, saying: "Who am I to judge?"