Terps sail to 62-3 win over Morgan

The Maryland Terrapins allowed themselves a few precious moments of giddiness after a 62-3 blowout of Morgan State in which they scored more points -- and surrendered fewer yards -- than in any game coached by Ralph Friedgen.

There were high-fives and chest bumps and subdued smiles as Maryland, which had entered the season on a seven-game losing streak, celebrated being 2-0 for the first time since 2007.

Maryland was particularly pleased for backup quarterback Danny O'Brien, who threw for three touchdowns on his first four passes of the game. The redshirt freshman is expected to again share time with starter Jamarr Robinson when the Terps travel to West Virginia on Saturday.

"I plan on playing both of them again," offensive coordinator James Franklin said. "I feel really good about the quarterbacks that we've brought in here. I think Danny is one of the more advanced freshmen I've been around."

But the festive mood didn't last long. The sobering news was that third-string quarterback C.J. Brown -- who was expected to get game experience this season -- broke his collarbone on the first play of his college career in the second half and is out an estimated eight weeks.

O'Brien was injured, too -- a high ankle sprain -- but said he expected to play against the Mountaineers. Redshirt freshman Marcus Whitfield, a defensive end whom coaches have praised for his quickness, suffered an injury to his kneecap and will have an MRI to determine his status.

Maryland outgained the Bears 370-85. The 62 points were the most Maryland scored since 1975 against Virginia.

The overwhelmed Bears turned the ball over on three of their last four possessions before halftime.

Maryland players seemed to try not to get too excited about the win. Morgan State had been shut out in its two previous games (against Rutgers and Akron in 2008 and 2009, respectively) against other Football Bowl Subdivision schools.

The Bears (1-1) had been outscored 127-0 over 10 quarters by Rutgers, Akron and the Terps until Kemar Scarlett's 39-yard, third-quarter field goal made it 48-3. It was the first time Morgan State had played the Terps in football.

"We're going to have to put this one behind us," said O'Brien, who wore a plastic ankle boot with Velcro fasteners on his right ankle after the game. It [West Virginia] is a big game for us obviously."

The Terps cruised to a 45-0 first-half lead, leading 17-0 after one quarter. It was their most first-quarter points since 2003.

Morgan State quarterback Donovan Dickerson completed two of his first 14passes and finished 7-for-28 with two interceptions. One of the picks was returned 14yards for a touchdown by Maryland linebacker Demetrius Hartsfield, making it 24-0 in the second quarter.

Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen had cautioned the Terps before the game to remember the damage mid-major schools can inflict. The team was reminded how Middle Tennessee State upset Maryland last season.

Maryland seemed to heed the warning. Running back D.J. Adams scored his first career touchdown, a 23-yarder in the fourth quarter. He accounted for all 66yards on the drive. He also scored on a 2-yard touchdown run.

Punt returner Tony Logan had returns of 37 yards and 68 yards, finishing with 128yards on four runbacks

Wide receiver Torrey Smith had two touchdown catches from Robinson and O'Brien. Brown, entered in the third quarter. He took off around left end on what Franklin said was a designed run. He ran for 12 yards, was hit and broke his collarbone. He remained in for the rest of the series but did not return after that.

jeff.barker@baltsun.com twitter.com/sunjeffbarker

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad