Maryland men’s basketball squanders 10-point second-half lead in 63-55 loss to Indiana

Indiana sophomore forward Trayce Jackson-Davis recorded 22 points and 15 rebounds and the Maryland men’s basketball team squandered a 10-point second-half lead in a 63-55 loss to the Hoosiers in Bloomington on Monday night.

Maryland (6-5, 1-4 Big Ten) built a 10-point lead in the first half, led 27-21 at halftime and was up by 10 again with 15:14 remaining in the game. But the Terps went scoreless over a six-minute stretch late in the second half and failed to separate from a Hoosiers team that struggled offensively throughout the first 20 minutes.


Indiana (7-4, 2-2) shot just 30% from the field in the first half and missed all nine of its 3-point attempts. Maryland didn’t fare much better, shooting 38.5% from the field and making four of 13 3-point attempts. The Terps were out-rebounded 43-33 in the game.

“We were really good in the first half, we played really well for the first four minutes, especially defensively,” Maryland coach Mark Turgeon said. “I thought we were terrific on defense. We were flying around, we were changing our defenses. We did a lot of really good things defensively.


“Second half, we weren’t quite as quick in our movement. Their ball movement was better. And it really just came down to rebounding. We just got our tails kicked on the boards.”

After a 3-pointer by junior guard Aaron Wiggins (career-high 22 points) gave Maryland a 37-27 lead, Indiana went on an 8-0 run — hitting its first two 3-pointers of the game — to cut the deficit to two. The Hoosiers had missed their first 11 attempts before the run started and made just four of 22 attempts in the game.

A pair of made free throws by forward Race Thompson gave the Hoosiers a 42-41 lead with 10:43 remaining, their first since the 17:58 mark of the first half.

Jackson-Davis took over the game late, fueling an 8-0 run himself that gave Indiana a 55-45 lead with 3:25 remaining. Davis scored 17 of his 22 points in the second half. The Hoosiers made 12 of 14 free throws in the second half and 15 of 18 in the game.

Maryland made 38.5% of its field-goal attempts in the second half but shot just 3-for-12 on 3-point attempts. The Terps missed seven of 15 free throws. Forward Galin Smith (three points) fouled out with five minutes remaining.

“We tried a lot defensively,” Turgeon said. “We have to, especially when we’re this small. And then our offense let us down tonight. We didn’t move the ball as quickly as we need to. We missed a lot of open shots on inside-out. We’re not passing the ball quick enough, we’re holding it one second too long and we’re missing some opportunities.

“It’s an everyday fight with me with this team and we’ve just got to continue to fight. [There is] a lot of basketball left.”

Sophomore guard Hakim Hart, starting in place of Darryl Morsell, who is recovering from surgery to fix a fractured bone in his face, scored 10 points on 3-for-8 shooting.

“You know Darryl is our best defensive player and I love Darryl and his leadership and all that, but we had enough players,” Turgeon said. “We’ve just got to compete a little bit more. That’s who we were. That was our team tonight.”

Freshman wing James Graham III, an early enrollee who arrived on campus Dec. 27, checked into the game halfway through the first half to make his team debut. Graham, a four-star recruit, played four minutes, recording one rebound and missing his lone shot attempt.

Turgeon acknowledged that if Morsell was available, he likely wouldn’t have turned to the 17-year-old in just his second game with the program.

“We just tried to play bodies and get through the game,” Turgeon said. “He’s trying, he’s learning. He’s doing extra film sessions, he had a 30-minute session [Monday] with the coaches after all the film we watched. He’s trying to figure it all out, but there’s a lot. He’s so far behind, terminology and all that. It’s going to take a while.”



Thursday, 7 p.m.


Radio: 105.7 FM, 1300 AM

Recommended on Baltimore Sun