Former Duke guard Rasheed Sulaimon took an unofficial visit to College Park on Friday, a source familiar with the situation said, and is considering transferring to Maryland next season.
Sulaimon, who is set to graduate this summer and would be eligible to play immediately, was dismissed in late January, with coach Mike Krzyzewski saying the onetime starter and NBA draft prospect had "failed to live up to the standard required to be a member of our program."
Sulaimon became the first player Krzyzewski had ever dismissed from the program, and about a month later, the Duke student newspaper reported that two female students had made allegations of sexual assault against Sulaimon. No charges were filed, and the university stopped its investigation after not finding any evidence to support the allegations.
"Me being dismissed from the team had nothing to do with this allegation," Sulaimon told ESPN last month, in his first public comments since being dismissed.
Sulaimon averaged 11.6 points as a freshman while starting 33 of 36 games, and he scored a career-high 27 points in a win over Maryland that season. But his playing time and production dropped off during the following two years. He was replaced in the starting lineup as a sophomore by transfer Rodney Hood. Last season, freshman star Justise Winslow emerged in the wake of Sulaimon's suspension and helped lead the Blue Devils to a national championship.
Maryland coach Mark Turgeon, who is looking to replace star guard Dez Wells and did not land Louisville-bound transfer Damion Lee (Calvert Hall), was among the first to offer Sulaimon a scholarship while coach at Texas A&M. The arrival of Sulaimon, who paid his own way to visit Maryland on Friday, would bolster the Terps' bid for a preseason No. 1 ranking next season.