Steve Smith Sr. ejected, John Harbaugh confronts Jay Gruden after on-field fight

Thank you for supporting our journalism. This article is available exclusively for our subscribers, who help fund our work at The Baltimore Sun.

Ravens wide receiver Steve Smith Sr. and Washington Redskins cornerback Chris Culliver were ejected for their roles in an on-field fight late in the first quarter of Saturday's preseason game at M&T Bank Stadium.

The issue developed after a third-down completion to wide receiver Kamar Aiken over the middle.


Washington linebacker Keenan Robinson picked up and dropped Aiken on his head, causing him to fumble the ball. Several Redskins players went for the ball, and tight end Crockett Gillmore came up with it, only to be mobbed by Redskins defenders.

That's when Smith and Culliver got tangled up. The two grabbed hold of one another and were engaged in the fight for several seconds.


Ravens guard John Urschel was one of several players who separated the two.

During the altercation, Ravens coach John Harbaugh sprinted onto the the field and then got into an argument with Washington coach Jay Gruden. Three officials had to separate them before Harbaugh was sent back to his sideline.

Redskins cornerbacks David Amerson and DeAngelo Hall were penalized, as was Aiken.

Smith, satisfied with his effort in defending his teammates and the four catches for 95 yards and a touchdown that preceded it, waved to the crowd and left to an ovation from Ravens fans in attendance. Smith took a bow before he went into the locker room.

Harbaugh was asked about the ejection during the WBAL television broadcast, and said, "I have nothing to say about that. If you want to talk football, I'd be happy to talk football."

By that point, Smith was taking in the game from a different vantage point. His son, Peyton, tweeted a picture of them in a suite with the caption, "1st time I've ever gotten to watch a game with my dad. Thanks, NFL."

After the game, Smith was not in the locker room once the media was allowed in.

Harbaugh said he didn't see what happened.


Baltimore Ravens Insider


Want the inside scoop on the Ravens? Become a Ravens Insider and you'll have access to news, notes and analysis from The Sun.

"I didn't really see what happened as far as all of that," he said after the game. "There were no punches thrown from what I was told, so I'm pleased about that. TO me, it's 'Walk back to the huddle.' You move back to the huddle, play the next play. You do your talking with your play, do it with your pads. That's how we want to play."

He wasn't overly concerned about the general unpleasantness of the incident, either.

"It's a preseason game," he said. "We have 90 guys on both benches. It wasn't getting calmed down very quickly. We get the [NFL] memos and everything, about the fighting, so I figured, 'Let me go out there, and kind of just get our guys back out of the way, and it would be fine.' That's kind of the way it worked out, so it seemed fine."

As for his trip across the field, Harbaugh said, "I don't remember going off.

"I didn't say anything, that I remember, to anybody," he said. "Something was said to me, but that doesn't bother me, what gets said to me out there."