The Ravens managed to lower veteran punter Sam Koch's salary-cap figure by $700,000 when they signed him to a five-year, $16.25 million contract extension, according to NFL Players Association records and league sources.
The deal, which has a total value of $18.75 million and includes a $4 million signing bonus, includes a first-year salary-cap figure of $2.4 million. That's down from an originally scheduled $3.1 million.
The Ravens are now $8.031 million under the NFL salary cap limit of $143.28 million.
Koch's deal includes $7.3 million in guaranteed money, with $5 million fully guaranteed and another $2.3 million guaranteed for injury only.
Koch has a $1 million base salary for this year, fully guaranteed for skill, injury and salary cap. His salary-cap figure for this year is derived from the $1 million, plus $800,000 prorated from the $4 million signing bonus and $600,000 from his five-year, $12.516 million contract extension signed in 2011 that was previously due to expire after this season.
In 2016, Koch has a $2.3 million salary guaranteed for injury only and a salary-cap figure of $3.1 million.
In 2017, Koch has a $2.3 million nonguaranteed base salary and a $3.1 million salary-cap figure.
In 2018, Koch has a $2.75 million nonguaranteed base salary and a $3.55 million salary-cap figure.
In 2019, Koch has a $3.15 million nonguaranteed base salary and a $3.95 million salary-cap figure.
In 2020, the final year of the deal, Koch has a $3.25 million nonguaranteed base salary. His salary-cap figure will be the same number because his prorated bonus money will have already been accounted for in the first five years of the contract.
Here are the top salary-cap commitments the Ravens have for this year, including dead money, meaning the amount of money consumed by players no longer on the roster:
1. Quarterback Joe Flacco ($14.55 million).
2. Former running back Ray Rice ($9.5 million).
3. Cornerback Lardarius Webb ($9.25 million).
4. Offensive guard Marshal Yanda ($8.45 million).
5. Offensive tackle Eugene Monroe ($7.7 million).
6. Outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil ($7.375 million).
7. Tight end Dennis Pitta ($6.2 million).
8. Wide receiver Steve Smith ($4.166 million).
9. Outside linebacker Terrell Suggs ($3.95 million).
10. Middle linebacker Daryl Smith ($3.875 million).
11. Center Jeremy Zuttah ($3.7 million).
12. Cornerback Jimmy Smith ($3.6 million).
13. Former wide receiver-kick returner Jacoby Jones ($2.625 million).
14. Punter Sam Koch ($2.4 million).
15. Kicker Justin Tucker ($2.356 million).
16. Quarterback Matt Schaub ($2 million).
17. Inside linebacker C.J. Mosley ($1.997 million).
18. Safety Matt Elam ($1.845 million).
19. Defensive end Chris Canty ($1.75 million).
20. Outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw ($1.685 million).
21. Running back Justin Forsett ($1.6 million).
22. Wide receiver Breshad Perriman ($1.582 million).
23. Safety Will Hill ($1.542 million).
24. Cornerback Kyle Arrington ($1.466 million).
25. Safety Kendrick Lewis ($1.266 million).
Baltimore Ravens Insider
26. Linebacker Albert McClellan ($1.2 million).
27. Offensive guard Kelechi Osemele ($1.064 million)
28. Defensive end Lawrence Guy ($1.055 million).
29. Safety Anthony Levine ($1 million).
30. Defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan ($996,114).