The Ravens created some breathing room under the NFL salary cap limit when they signed Pro Bowl running back Ray Rice to a five-year, $40 million maximum value deal that included a $15 million signing bonus.
Instead of carrying a $7.742 million franchise tender for Rice, he now counts for just $5 million against the salary cap for this fiscal year.
Including the accounting for the Rice deal, the Ravens have $3.123 million in cap space available.
Yes, that's enough to fit in a deal for quarterback Joe Flacco, which is actively being haggled over between agent Joe Linta and Ravens vice president of football administration Pat Moriarty, with no deal imminent at this time.
The Ravens carried over $5.831 million in cap space from last year.
Here are the heftiest cap figures on the Ravens' financial ledger for this year:
1. Outside linebacker Terrell Suggs ($11.52 million)
2. Defensive tackle Haloti Ngata ($10.4 million)
3. Free safety Ed Reed ($8.5 million)
4. Quarterback Joe Flacco ($8 million)
5. Wide receiver Anquan Boldin ($7.531 million)
6. Middle linebacker Ray Lewis ($6.85 million)
7. Running back Ray Rice ($5 million)
8. Fullback Vonta Leach ($4.33 million)
9. Offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie ($4.2 million)
10. Former Ravens running back Willis McGahee ($3.725 million in dead money).
That just means that the proration of McGahee's old contract is still on the books.
Former Ravens cornerbacks Domonique Foxworth ($3 million) and Chris Carr ($2.85 million) are also still counting against this year's total after being released earlier this year.
Meanwhile, I just wanted to say I'm extremely excited to begin working today at The Baltimore Sun.
It's an outstanding opportunity, one that I'm thrilled to have been granted, and I'm really happy to be working with a great group of reporters, editors and photographers.
This is my 12th season on the Ravens beat after previously working at the Carroll County Times, which was an excellent experience.
I'll be covering the Ravens in print and online for The Sun. And I'm also on Twitter: @RavensInsider.
Anyway, that's enough about me. Heading over to The Castle now to cover practice.