The Chris Davis experiment at third base lasted just one day.
Davis committed an error at third base Monday, and Orioles manager Buck Showalter decided against putting him there again tonight.
Including tonight, Machado has four games remaining on his suspension for throwing the bat beyond third base against the Oakland Athletics on June 8.
With Davis back at first base, Ryan Flaherty will play third base and Steve Pearce will start in left field. The move drops Delmon Young, who hit .417 in June, out of the lineup. Nelson Cruz will be the club's designated hitter.
Other pregame updates:
* Kevin Gausman could start for the Orioles on Sunday against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park, Showalter said. The right-hander pitched a bullpen session Monday and will have a shortened start Wednesday for short-season Single-A Aberdeen.
Wei-Yin Chen will likely start for the Orioles on Thursday in the series finale against the Rangers, with Miguel Gonzalez pitching against the Red Sox on Friday and Ubaldo Jimenez on Saturday.
If left-hander T.J. McFarland pitches well tonight, he’s a candidate to start Sunday as well, Showalter said.
* Right-hander Bud Norris, who is on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right groin, will toss a bullpen session Wednesday, he said.
* The Orioles have returned infielder Michael Almanzar back to the Red Sox. Almanzar was selected in the Rule 5 draft in December and was sidelined with a knee injury.
* Infielder Jemile Weeks is re-joining Triple-A Norfolk. He had been at Aberdeen in case the Orioles needed an extra infielder when Major League Baseball announced the verdict of Machado’s appeal hearing. But the club has three players who could play third base (Davis, Flaherty and Jonathan Schoop), and Showalter said the team was in bigger need of pitching.
* Norfolk right-hander Suk-Min Yoon will see Orioles team orthopedist Dr. Michael Jacobs on Wednesday for shoulder impingement.
* Radio play-by-play announcer Fred Manfra will be back in the booth for tonight’s game. He had hip replacement surgery earlier this year.
Here are tonight’s lineups:
Nick Markakis RF
Steve Pearce LF
Adam Jones CF
Nelson Cruz DH
Chris Davis 1B
J.J. Hardy SS
Jonathan Schoop 2B
Ryan Flaherty 3B
Caleb Joseph C
T.J. McFarland LHP