Ravens release Bernard Pierce after DUI charge

Baltimore Sun columnist Mike Preston rants about the arrest of Ravens running back Bernard Pierce and explains why he should be released from the team. (Kevin Richardson/Baltimore Sun video)

The Ravens on Wednesday released running back Bernard Pierce just 12 hours after he was arrested and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol in Towson.

Baltimore County police said 23-year-old Pierce was driving a 2014 Ford Mustang when he was stopped for speeding on Dulaney Valley Road near Interstate 695 just before 2 a.m. He later failed several sobriety tests and was arrested.


Ravens team spokesman Chad Steele told The Baltimore Sun Wednesday morning: "We are aware of the situation and learning more about it. We take these matters seriously."

The Ravens announced Wednesday afternoon they released Pierce. He is the third Ravens player to be both arrested and released this off season. The previous two players — defensive tackle Terrence Cody, indicted for animal cruelty and defensive back Victor Hampton, arrested on DWI charges less than two months after signing with the team — have both been released.


At one point, Pierce told the arresting officer, "Do you know what happened the last time a Ravens player got a DUI? I'm getting cut tomorrow, not like you care," according to charging documents.

Police said Pierce was stopped after an officer in an unmarked patrol car clocked Pierce going 55 mph in a 30 mph zone, outside of the entrance to Towson Town Mall on Dulaney Valley Road, police wrote in charging documents.

The officer said Pierce's Mustang crossed over into the next lane. The officer stopped further north on Dulaney Valley Road, near Interstate 695. Police said Pierce was in the driver seat and a woman was sitting in the front passenger seat.

When the officer explained why he pulled him over, Pierce asked, "what did I do again?" When the officer asked for his license and registration, he noticed Pierce struggle to grasp his license and pull it from his wallet, and noticed that his breath smelled like alcohol.

When the officer asked him what he had been drinking, Pierce told the officer he had "three shots of Jack."

After Pierce handed the officer his Pennsylvania license, the officer asked him if he had a local address but he couldn't understand Pierce's response. The officer repeated the question and Pierce responded, "Yes I live around here, 2012," and eventually "slurred" his street name and the spelling, police said.

The officer then asked him to get out of the vehicle and asked him perform three sobriety tests, during which he showed signs of impairment, police said, and he was arrested.

When the officer went to help Pierce into the back of the patrol car, the officer said Pierce asked if "the incident could be kept off the books." When the officer told him he was under arrest and it couldn't be kept off the books, Pierce said, "never mind."

At the Towson Precinct, police said Pierce passed out while sitting on a metal bench, and that the officer had to shake his shoulder to wake him.

When the officer asked him how much he weighed, Pierce responded, "530," and did a second time when the officer repeated the question. He later corrected himself and answered 230 pounds.

He is charged with driving while under the influence of alcohol, driving while impaired by alcohol, exceeding maximum speed: 55 mph in a posted 30 mph zone, and driving a vehicle in excess of reasonable and prudent speed on highway.

Baltimore Sun reporters Aaron Wilson and Jeff Zrebiec contributed to this story.

Recommended on Baltimore Sun