Ravens and Eagles will have joint practices

Ravens head coach John Harbaugh was pleased with how much his team got out of the joint practices with the San Francisco 49ers last year, so he will embrace the arrangement again this training camp.

Harbaugh announced today that the Ravens will head to Philadelphia for a couple of days of joint practices ahead of the teams' second preseason game on Aug.22 at Lincoln Financial Field. The Ravens and Eagles will practice at the NovaCare Complex in Philadelphia.


"We're going to go up there three days before we play them the second preseason game," Harbaugh said after the final day of rookie minicamp. "Coach [Chip] Kelly and I are working on the practice schedules right now. We're excited about that. We're looking forward to it."

Last year's workouts with the 49ers marked the first time the Ravens held joint practices in team history. They participated in scrimmages with the Washington Redskins in the past. However, the fact that Harbaugh's brother, Jim, was head coach of the 49ers helped with the planning.


John Harbaugh said that he doesn't know Kelly very well, but he's looking forward to spending some time with the Eagles coach.

"Jim's always spoken really highly of him and I have great respect for him," Harbaugh said. "We were just talking at the owner's meetings and we were kind of wondering why we don't play each other more in the preseason, and see if we can work something out. It looks like we're going to be able to do that."

In another scheduling matter, the Ravens haven't made a final decision on whether they will stay on the West Coast in between the back-to-back road games against the Denver Broncos (Sept. 13) and Oakland Raiders (Sept. 20) and for the San Francisco 49ers (Oct. 18) and Arizona Cardinals (Oct. 26).

"We're leaning in that direction, especially in the first week," Harbaugh said. "We'll see about the second week. It's a little bit of a longer trip. We've got a couple of sleep study doctors and time-zone doctors and things like that, that we're talking to. We just want to do the smartest thing – whatever it is. We'll probably have a decision on that within two weeks, I'd say."