Even among the American League All-Stars, Orioles third baseman Manny Machado is in a good spot in the lineup, hitting third in Tuesday's All-Star Game in San Diego.
Machado, who turned 24 on Wednesday, earned his third All-Star selection, this time being voted by fans to start the game. He's having a career year, hitting .318 with a .569 slugging percentage and 19 home runs.
In his first appearance in 2013, Machado came in for Detroit Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera and struck out. Last season, he pinch-hit for Toronto Blue Jays third baseman Josh Donaldson in the fifth inning and flew out. He later smacked an RBI double and scored in the seventh, helping to pad the AL's lead en route to a 6-3 victory.
Four other Orioles All-Stars will join Machado as reserves: catcher Matt Wieters, outfielder Mark Trumbo and relievers Brad Brach and Zach Britton.
Here's the AL's full lineup for Tuesday, with Chicago White Sox left-hander Chris Sale starting on the mound in San Diego:
1. Jose Altuve, Houston Astros second baseman
2. Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim center fielder
3. Manny Machado, Orioles third baseman
4. David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox designated hitter
5. Xander Bogaerts, Red Sox shortstop
6. Eric Hosmer, Kansas City Royals first baseman
7. Mookie Betts, Red Sox right fielder
8. Salvador Perez, Royals catcher
9. Jackie Bradley Jr., Red Sox left fielder