Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette and manager Buck Showalter talk about the end of the season and highlights of the season. (Kenneth K. Lam, Baltimore Sun video)
The Orioles' top brass on Thursday said it was glad for the Toronto Blue Jays' swift and stern response to the incident in Tuesday's wild-card game at Rogers Centre when a fan threw a can at left fielder Hyun Soo Kim as he was camped under a fly ball.
"The Blue Jays, to their credit, reached out to us and [team president and CEO] Mark Shapiro apologized to the Orioles organization and of course, Kim and Adam [Jones]," executive vice president Dan Duquette said Thursday at the team's end-of-season news conference. "They told us they're making some adjustments to address that so it doesn't happen in the future.
"One thing you can do is you can pour the beer in the cup so the consumer is no longer holding the can, and you can increase your security presence around areas. So, we've been assured that that's what's going to happen in Toronto. We don't go back there any more this year, but I expect there will be a lot of interest in our games next year."
Toronto Police put out a photograph of the man they believed threw the can, but that person, identified as an employee of a Toronto media outlet, said he was drinking out of a cup, not a can.
The Blue Jays on Wednesday issued a statement apologizing to the Orioles, as well.
"It's unfortunate that, like I said after the game, that one person in 50,000 people reflects poorly on the whole group, and I'll tell you, if it had been the middle of the inning, I'd have taken the team off the field," manager Buck Showalter said. "When you're real close to it where we were, there was a certain tenor there. … That's part of the challenge you faced playing on the road."