After Orioles-Reds game starts late, rain forces another delay in first inning

After the Orioles and Cincinnati Reds started late, another storm forced a second rain delay at Camden Yards.

After a 23-minute rain delay before the Orioles' game Tuesday against the Cincinnati Reds at Camden Yards, another band of storms forced a second delay just two batters into the game.

Reds center fielder Billy Hamilton opened the with an infield single on a comebacker that hit off Orioles right-hander Bud Norris. After running through first base, Hamilton collided with first base umpire Mike DiMuro.


DiMuro left with Orioles assistant trainer Brian Ebel, and the game continued with three umpires. Four pitches into the next at-bat, after Hamilton stole second base, the game was delayed when a sudden downpour began.

The rain was so heavy that the Orioles grounds crew struggled to get the tarp onto the field. A batboy and clubhouse attendant helped to eventually get the tarp on the field.


The second delay was a long one -- 1 hour and 46 minutes. Play resumed at 9:22 p.m. with Norris back on the mound facing Frazier. All told, the delays were 2 hours and 9 minutes.

The Orioles responded in strong fashion after the second delay.

Baltimore Orioles Insider


Want to be an Orioles Insider? The Sun has you covered. Don't miss any Orioles news, notes and info all baseball season and beyond.

Catcher Caleb Joseph threw out Hamilton trying to steal third base, and Norris got Frazier to ground out and Brandon Phillips to pop out. The Orioles offense then scored four runs on five singles in the bottom of the first inning. Alejandro De Aza, in his first game with the Orioles, had an infield single in his first at-bat and scored the club's second run.

This is the second time in Norris' last three games that his start has been interrupted by a rain delay. After pitching two innings in a start against the Chicago Cubs on Aug. 23 at Wrigley Field, the Orioles' game was delayed for 3 hours, 9 minutes.

Norris didn't return once the game continued in that one, partially because Wrigley Field didn't have a facility where he could throw to remain warm. Right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez, who had just been demoted to the bullpen, replaced Norris when play resumed.