A report out of Toronto surfaced Wednesday saying that Toronto Blue Jays team president and CEO Paul Beeston will remain in his current post for the 2015 season.
Toronto radio host Bob McCown told his listeners on SportsNet 590 AM that Beeston would stay for the upcoming year.
So how does this impact the future of Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette, who has been linked as a possible successor to Beeston in Toronto?
While attending the Blue Jays' Christmas party last month, Beeston told those in attendance that he would be back this season, according to a Toronto Sun report.
So, it seems obvious that Beeston thinks he's back for 2015, but we still haven't heard anything from Blue Jays ownership that corroborates that. We do know that Edward S. Rogers III, the deputy chairman for Rogers Communications, which owns the Jays, did reach out to Orioles managing partner Peter G. Angelos to inquire about Duquette.
Before this whole story surfaced, Beeston was likely on his way out following the 2015 season anyway, but the team reportedly wanted to speed that process up, partially because Beeston publicly opposed Rob Manfred as baseball's new commissioner. Toronto would want a successor with a strong relationship with Manfred. That aspect of the story doesn't seem to have changed.
Regardless, this story doesn't go away unless one of three things happen: Blue Jays ownership says that Beeston remains, Duquette takes a stronger stance one way or the other, or the Orioles decide to release Duquette from his contract (which certainly would involve some sort of compensation).
Even if it is true that Beeston remains with Toronto in 2015, it doesn't necessarily stop the Blue Jays' pursuit of Duquette. They will need a successor to Beeston sooner than later.
Duquette is signed with the Orioles through the 2018 season, so the timing of Beeston's departure won't completely change people throughout the Orioles organization wondering who will run the team's baseball operations department in the near future.