xml:space="preserve">
Orioles reliever Jason Garcia pitches during the sixth inning against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on April 20, 2015 in Boston.
Orioles reliever Jason Garcia pitches during the sixth inning against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on April 20, 2015 in Boston. (Rich Gagnon / Getty Images)

In a move that was more for 2016 than it is for this season, the Orioles reinstated right-hander Jason Garcia from the 60-day disabled list Thursday and sent righty reliever Mychal Givens back to Double-A Bowie.

Garcia, a Rule 5 pick who must stay on the Orioles' 25-man roster all season or be exposed to waivers and/or be offered back to the Boston Red Sox, has been on the major league DL since May 13 with right shoulder tendinitis.

The hard thrower made nine rehabilitation appearances at Bowie, going 1-2 with a 4.20 ERA while striking out 14 and walking nine in 15 innings. His rehab assignment had expired and the Orioles needed to make a call on his future.

Because Garcia has a live arm — he routinely has hit the high 90s with his fastball when healthy — and is just 22, the Orioles chose to keep him in the system. But that means for the next three-plus weeks, until rosters expand, Garcia will be one of seven relievers in the Orioles bullpen.

"We're gonna see if he can come back up and throw strikes. We'll monitor the situation," Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said. "He has good pitches, good youth and should have a good future. Obviously he needs more experience. He has real good spin on his breaking ball and excellent velocity on his fastball. He just needs to get consistent control."

Garcia likely will be used only in spots where the outcome of games is already determined. In his eight appearances with the Orioles earlier this season, Garcia allowed 11 hits, 11 walks and nine earned runs in 13 2/3 innings. He struck out eight batters in that time.

Givens, 25, has impressed in his brief stints with the Orioles. A converted shortstop with a sidearm delivery, Givens hasn't allowed a run in three big league appearances. He gave up one hit, no walks and struck out six in four scoreless innings with the Orioles. He'll likely return when rosters expand in September, if not sooner. In his last appearance Monday, he struck out three of the four Oakland Athletics batters he faced.

Duquette has spent the past few days watching the Orioles' Triple-A club in Norfolk and has come away impressed. He mentioned several players by name, including pitchers Oliver Drake and Cesar Cabral, and position players Steve Clevenger, Dariel Alvarez, Rey Navarro and newcomer Junior Lake.

"We have some players that look pretty good, that can help us [in September]," Duquette said.

Duquette added that there is nothing new on Bud Norris or Chris Parmelee, both of whom were designated for assignment on July 31. The team has 10 days to trade, release or put them through waivers.

"We're still working on resolving those contract situations," Duquette said.

Recommended on Baltimore Sun

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement