A timeline to recap the storyline on Dan Duquette and the Blue Jays
The Baltimore Sun|
Jan 25, 2015 | 7:13 PM
On Sunday, a Sportsnet.ca report said the Toronto Blue Jays have pulled out of negotiations for a compensation package to allow Dan Duquette to leave his contract with the Orioles to become their president and chief executive officer.
Here's a brief recap to catch you up on how the Duquette-to-Toronto storyline has evolved since the winter meetings last month.
Dec. 7: As the winter meetings begin in San Diego, an ESPN report says Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette is a candidate to become the Toronto Blue Jays' president and chief executive officer. Orioles managing partner Peter G. Angelos tells The Baltimore Sun that the club expects Duquette to "satisfy his contract," which goes through 2018 season.
Dec. 8: Duquette says at the winter meetings that the Orioles are "here to put together the strongest Oriole team that we can for 2015, and that's my focus." Duquette doesn't directly address the report that he is under consideration for the Blue Jays job, which would be a clear promotion over his current role with the Orioles.
Dec. 9: Paul Beeston will remain as Toronto's president and chief executive officer at least through the 2015 season, according to a Fox Sports report out of the winter meetings.
Jan. 14: More than a month after the winter meetings ended, Duquette remains linked to the Blue Jays. After Fox Sports reports that the two clubs have discussed a compensation package, Angelos tells The Baltimore Sun that the Rogers Blue Jays Baseball Partnership has contacted the Orioles, but he reiterates his stance on Duquette's contract, saying: "That is not going to happen. There have not been any changes in the status of Dan Duquette."
Jan. 15: A day after Angelos' strong statements, an industry source tells The Sun that the Orioles have compiled a list of possible options in case Duquette heads to Toronto. The list includes four high-profile former general managers: Ned Colletti, Kevin Towers, Omar Minaya and Kevin Malone. If Duquette were to leave, Orioles manager Buck Showalter and vice president of baseball operations Brady Anderson likely would see an increase in their responsibilities.
Jan. 19: Reached by phone, Duquette again declines to comment on his interest/involvement with the Blue Jays and their president and chief executive officer position. "At this point, there really is nothing to say on the issue," Duquette says. "I don't have a comment on the issue you want to talk about."
Jan. 21: At an autism charity event in Towson, Showalter says the Orioles are "fine" despite the Blue Jays' continuing interest in Duquette. "The way we've set it up, it kind of runs itself," Showalter says about the organization. "We've got a lot of good people in place, including Dan, and I'm looking forward to the season."
Jan. 22: The Orioles are listening to possible compensation packages in order to allow Duquette to head to Toronto, according to multiple sources. One player being discussed, according to a source, is Blue Jays prospect Jeff Hoffman, a 22-year-old right-hander who was the ninth overall pick in the 2014 draft. Duquette once again doesn't comment on the situation during an awards banquet for the Boston chapter of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. "It's not something I can talk about," he says.
Jan. 25: The Blue Jays call off negotiations with the Orioles about Duquette, according to a Sportsnet.ca report. The two clubs had discussed a group of five to six players that a source says included Hoffman and catcher Max Pentecost (11th overall selection in 2014). Minor league third baseman Mitch Nay (58th overall pick in 2012) also was discussed, according to Sportsnet. A source says this isn't the first time that Toronto has pulled away from compensation talks, but it is believed that Orioles ownership isn't budging from its demands.