Report says Jonathan Martin was found with multiple weapons after threatening the Dolphins and his California high school

Former Miami Dolphins offensive lineman Jonathan Martin — a central figure in the team’s bullying scandal in 2013 — had multiple weapons in his vehicle hours after posting a cryptic, threatening message on his Instagram page last month.

According to a TMZ report, court documents -- filed after Martin was taken into custody on Feb. 23 following a post he made threatening his California high school, two high school classmates and two of his former Dolphins teammates -- claim California police officials found a loaded 12-gauge shotgun, a large knife, an ax and a cell phone in Martin’s vehicle.

A second shotgun was also found at his parents' home.

The TMZ report states police officials say they found Martin after getting a call about a "suicidal male with a gun" at a hospital in Glendale, California. Martin was placed on a 72-hour psychiatric hold at a California hospital.

On Feb. 23, an Instagram account under his name posted a picture of a shotgun and a dozen shell casings spread around with words that read: “when you’re a bully victim and a coward, your options are suicide or revenge.”

The Dolphins, Harvard Westlake, two high school classmates, Dolphins center Mike Pouncey, and former Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito were all tagged on the photo.

The Dolphins head of security notified the NFL, which contacted law enforcement officials in California.

Incognito, who plays for the Buffalo Bills, and Pouncey were two of the three Dolphins players whom the NFL’s independent report said created a hostile working environment for Martin, who left the team in the middle of the 2013 season saying he was being bullied by teammates.

The NFL report revealed that Martin had been subjected to racist, sexually explicit, homophobic and misogynistic messages, and labeled his interactions with Incognito, who was suspended for eight games by the NFL because of the investigation, as “harassment.”

Martin, whose Instagram account is verified, was traded to the San Francisco 49ers before the 2014 season, weeks after the Ted Wells report was released. He struggled as a starter with the 49ers and was subsequently waived the following offseason.

The Carolina Panthers claimed Martin, the Dolphins’ 2012 second-round pick, off waivers in March, but Martin retired before training camp opened in 2015, citing a back injury.

According to TMZ, Martin’s girlfriend, who spoke with officials, said Martin had been making suicidal remarks for a month and had been “writing on the walls” of his home.

Martin had also been threatening his former classmates - including one whom Martin mentioned in the post - for at least two years.

At this time it’s unclear if Martin is still receiving medical treatment.

Like the Dolphins? Like our Miami Dolphins Facebook page to keep up with all the latest news »

On Twitter @omarkelly

Click here to go to “X’s and Omar”

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
52°