College Sports

Strong second half lifts Mount

A dominating second half propelled Mount St. Mary's to a 63-46 win at Central Connecticut on Saturday afternoon. The Mountaineers outscored CCSU, 31-14, in the second half to earn the victory.

Mount St. Mary's (11-12, 7-5 Northeast Conference) opened the second half with a 15-0 run over the first nine and a half minutes to take control of the game. Kristijan Krajina and Gregory Graves had the first two buckets of the half before consecutive baskets from Khalid Nwandu forced a Central Connecticut timeout.


Will Miller followed with a three-pointer, and a Byron Ashe slam off a turnover forced another CCSU timeout with the Mount leading 45-32 with 13:31 left in the game. Junior Robinson added a floater before Central Connecticut's Khalen Cumberlander stopped the run with a layup with 10:15 left.

The Mount stretched its lead to 58-40 after a Gregory Graves three-point basket and then cruised to the win. The Mountaineers held CCSU (3-22, 1-11 NEC) to 14 second-half points on 5-of-24 (.208), including 0-for-6 from three-point range. For the game, CCSU converted 28.6 percent from the field and was 3-of-12 from beyond the arc. Mount St. Mary's shot 43.9 percent in the contest while committing just three turnovers in the game.


Chris Martin scored all of his team-high 16 points for the Mountaineers in the first half. Robinson added 13 points and Ashe added 11 in the win. Nwandu added five points, seven rebounds and three assists with Graves chipping in six points, nine boards and four assists in the win. The Mount bench contributed 35 points in the win.

Faronte Drakeford led CCSU with 15 points and nine boards with Matt Mobley adding 13 in the loss.

The Mountaineers grabbed an early 11-4 lead behind three-point baskets from Robinson, Martin and Ashe. The Mount maintained the advantage, taking a 19-11 lead on a Martin three midway through the half.

Martin scored the Mount's final eight points of the half, including a drive that gave the Mount a 32-26 lead with 51.7 seconds left in the opening frame. The Blue Devils, however, scored the final six points of the half to even the score at 32-32. Cumblerand hit a three-pointer, and after a Robinson miss, Mobley was fouled on a three-pointer with 0.2 seconds left. He hit all three charity tosses to tie the score.

Mount St. Mary's shot 48.0 percent (12-of-25) from the field in the first half, including 53.8 percent (7-of-13) from three-point range. CCSU shot just 32.4 percent (11-of-32) in the half, but held a commanding 24-to-12 advantage on the boards. The Blue Devils had 13 second-chance points in the first half.

The Mountaineers begin a four-game homestand on Thursday when Sacred Heart visits Knott Arena for a 7:00 p.m. matchup.