Freshman attacker Livy Rosenzweig scored four goals and had two assists as Loyola Maryland routed Fairfield, 18-2, in the first round of the NCAA Division I women's lacrosse tournament Friday at Ridley Athletic Complex.

Senior attack Frankie Kamely scored three goals for eighth-seeded Loyola (16-4), which is 4-1 in first-round games since the tournament expanded in 2013. Senior attacker Hannah Savage and freshman midfielder Sam Fiedler had two goals and two assists apiece for the Greyhounds, who took a 10-1 lead at halftime and scored the first goal of the second half to implement the running clock for the rest of the game.


"We came out firing," Loyola coach Jen Adams said. "I was really pleased with our transition – our ability to run and gun, share the ball and capitalize on our athleticism. There was a lot of passing and movement, which made it tough for Fairfield to cover."

Previewing local teams in the first round of the NCAA Division I women's lacrosse tournament

Previewing Friday’s NCAA Division I women’s lacrosse first-round games for the teams from Maryland: Fairfield at Loyola, Johns Hopkins vs. Navy at Loyola, Wagner at Towson.

Junior goalie Kady Glynn stopped 16 shots for Loyola, which was beaten 11-10 on draws and committed 13 turnovers.

"Kady Glynn in the cage with 16 saves and two goals against was absolutely stellar today," Adams said. "When your goalkeeper is on fire like that, it really builds momentum for the entire team."

The Greyhounds advance to face the winner of Friday night's second game at Ridley Athletic Complex between Navy and Johns Hopkins. Loyola lost to Hopkins in the season opener on Feb. 21 and split with Navy, winning the regular-season matchup, 16-12, on April 7 before dropping the rematch in the Patriot League tournament final, 17-10.

"Coming off a championship-game loss to Navy, I feel like our girls wanted a chance to continue their season," Adams said. "Getting a home seed was incredible and we wanted to come out with energy, and I thought we did for the full 60 minutes. I just told the players in the locker room the thing I'm most proud of is that as fast and hard as we started that game, we ended it that way as well."

Fairfield (13-7), which earned an automatic berth as the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference champion, trailed 7-0 before scoring in the first half and was behind 14-1 before getting its only goal in the second half.



Recommended on Baltimore Sun