Don’t miss Trey Mancini and Joey Rickard guest bartend at the first Brews & O’s event June 10th. Get your tickets today!

UMBC bows to Albany 19-8 in America East men's lax semis

With 33.3 seconds left in Wednesday night's America East tournament semifinal, the scoreboard at UMBC Stadium in Catonsville went out for about a minute before power was restored.

With 33.3 seconds left in Wednesday night's America East tournament semifinal, the scoreboard at UMBC Stadium in Catonsville went out for about a minute before power was restored.

That was the only reprieve the UMBC men's lacrosse team got as visiting Albany overpowered the Retrievers, 19-8.

UMBC, the No. 2 seed, ended its season with a 5-8 record and lost for the third time in its past four contests.

Albany, the No. 3 seed in the tournament, improved to 5-10 and advanced to Saturday's final, where they will meet No. 1 seed Stony Brook. The Seawolves (6-9) defeated No. 4 seed Hartford, 9-8, in the other semifinal Wednesday night.

An announced 312 watched the Great Danes starting attack of senior Joe Resetarits and sophomores Miles and Ty Thompson exploit the Retrievers' defense. Miles Thompson registered five goals and two assists, Resetarits — the America East Player of the Year — scored four goals, and Ty Thompson chipped in two goals and one assist.

The display was reminiscent of their showing in a 17-16 overtime loss to UMBC on April 21. In that game, Resetarits recorded four goals and three assists, Ty Thompson finished with five goals and two assists, and Miles Thompson added three goals and one assist.

Unlike that contest, however, Albany shut the door on a possible Retrievers comeback.

"When we found out we were coming back here, we said, 'Look, if we get up, we can't let that happen again. We've got to finish the game,' " Resetarits said. "But we knew they were going to fight hard. They didn't quit. They kept going."

Great Danes coach Scott Marr said the memory of that April 21 setback — one in which host UMBC overcame a five-goal deficit in the fourth quarter — was still fresh with the players and coaches.

"We lost that game, and at the end of the game, we really felt that we didn't play our best lacrosse in the last five minutes," he said. "Give them credit for coming back the way they did and winning the game in overtime, but we really felt like we had unfinished business. All we talked about since we knew we were playing UMBC was we've got to play 60 minutes against them."

Albany turned a 4-3 lead in the first quarter into a 10-3 halftime advantage courtesy of six unanswered goals.

After UMBC sophomore midfielder Zach Linkous (St. Paul's) trimmed a two-goal deficit in half with a blast from the left point with 5:27 left in the first period, the Great Danes went to work.

Resetarits, Ty Thompson and freshman midfielder Lyle Thompson (five goals) each scored two goals in the 6-0 run, and senior midfielder Rocky Bonitatibus amassed three assists.

Forty seconds into the third quarter, sophomore attackman Matt Gregoire (South River) converted a pass from sophomore faceoff specialist Phil Poe to end the Retrievers' scoring drought of 21:07. But Albany responded with back-to-back tallies, and UMBC never seriously threatened after that.

Junior midfielder Scott Hopmann (St. Mary's) paced the Retrievers with two goals and one assist, and junior attackman Joe Lustgarten compiled three assists.

Coach Don Zimmerman said the team dug itself too deep of a hole in the second quarter.

"They got 5-0 in the second quarter, and that was the quarter that killed us," he said. "We're there and then they get that six-goal run, and at that point we're playing catch-up ball, and we weren't able to do it this time around."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad