College Lacrosse

Johns Hopkins men's lacrosse pulls away from UMBC

Judging by the records heading into Wednesday night's annual men's lacrosse showdown, Johns Hopkins was supposed to have an easy time with UMBC. But the Retrievers were not quite that charitable.

UMBC nearly matched the No. 9 Blue Jays goal for goal in the first half before running out of steam in a 19-7 loss before an announced 1,362 at UMBC Stadium in Catonsville.


Johns Hopkins improved to 5-3, has won all 14 meetings with the Retrievers, and earned a much-needed victory after Sunday's 13-12 overtime setback at Virginia.

Although UMBC fell to 1-6 and has dropped three consecutive games, the underdog went toe-to-toe with an opponent that has shown flashes of being a contender for a trip to championship weekend in Philadelphia.


"I thought first half, we were a little sluggish," said Blue Jays associate head coach Bill Dwan, who filled in for head coach Dave Pietramala (lower back infection) for the third straight contest. "I thought UMBC did a really good job in the first half. It was 7-6 and we had won a majority of the faceoffs. They were scoring on a bunch of possessions. … I thought in the second half, we played a little harder, did a little better job. Knocked the ball to the ground a little bit and actually tried to take them out of some of the things they were doing behind the cage."

Johns Hopkins needed just 52 seconds to earn the game's first goal off of a seed from junior midfielder John Crawley. The Blue Jays never trailed and led by as many as three goals at 6-3 with 11:13 left in the second quarter after junior attackman Wilkins Dismuke converted a pass from sophomore midfielder Pat Fraser.

But the Retrievers refused to give up, tying the score once and drawing within one four times. Senior attackman Nate Lewnes, the Arnold resident and St. Mary's graduate, recorded the 11th hat trick of his career in the first half, including two in the first quarter.

UMBC trailed just 7-6 at halftime, conjuring hopes of the kind of upset that has dotted the Division I landscape and claimed victims like No. 11 Duke and previously ranked Harvard.

But the Blue Jays opened the third quarter with a 3-0 run with senior attackman Ryan Brown having a hand in each goal. The Sykesville resident and Calvert Hall graduate scored unassisted with 12:27 remaining, centered the ball to sophomore attackman Shack Stanwick for a re-direction from in front of the net 67 seconds later, and fed Crawley for a laser from the left point with 8:35 left.

The Retrievers tried to stem the tide when Maxwell found freshman attackman Jack Andrews (St. Mary's) in the high slot with 4:30 remaining. But Johns Hopkins closed out the contest with nine unanswered goals.

Brown, who finished with six points on four goals and two assists to pass Paul Rabil and Brian Wood for 12th place on the program's all-time scoring list with 182 career points, said the offense was initially stymied by UMBC's zone defense.

"They were running almost like a zone, but it had some man concepts to it," he said. "I think in the first quarter, it kind of threw us off what we were going to do offensively. But in the second quarter and into the second half, I felt like we settled down and figured it out and were able to play our style of offense and were able to solve some things."


Stanwick, the Baltimore resident and Boys' Latin graduate, chipped in one goal and five assists, and freshman attackman Kyle Marr added three goals and one assist. Sophomore goalie Brock Turnbaugh (Hereford) stopped eight shots.

UMBC was paced by three goals from Lewnes and one goal and two assists from junior attackman Max Maxwell. Junior goalkeeper Ruston Souder allowed all 19 goals, but the Pasadena resident and Chesapeake-AA graduate also made 16 saves.

The Retrievers were forced to play without junior Garrett Hasken, their best faceoff specialist at 47.2 percent (17-of-36), because of a head injury. That opened the door for Johns Hopkins senior Craig Madarasz to win 66.7 percent (12 of 18) of his draws, but UMBC coach Don Zimmerman said the key was sophomore Hunter Moreland (Boys' Latin), whose 7-for-9 effort in the second half was critical in turning momentum in the Blue Jays' favor.

"In the third quarter, they faced off No. 31 [Moreland], and I thought he did an outstanding job," Zimmerman said. "We were kind of battling at 50-50 on faceoffs, making it some ground balls. But I thought 31 came out and just dominated the faceoffs. He won them for himself and did a terrific job. If you give that offense that many opportunities, they're going to figure out our zone and they're potent. And I think our defense ran out of gas a little bit."