WASHINGTON -- The Mount St. Mary's men's lacrosse team had a better showing Wednesday against Georgetown than it did in a loss to No. 11 Maryland last Saturday. But it still didn't produce a win.

The Mountaineers scored four goals, one more than their output in a 16-3 loss to the Terps, but lost 10-4 to the host Hoyas before an announced 453 at Multi-Sport Field.


Junior midfielder Clayton Wainer scored two goals and junior attackman Christian Durham and fifth-year senior midfielder Greg Mulvaney each scored once for Mount St. Mary's (0-2), but the loss was the team's 14th in its last 15 meetings with Georgetown.

The Mountaineers committed 18 turnovers Wednesday and have given the ball away 28 times in two games. That number might be understandable considering the roster graduated more than 20 seniors and includes 12 freshmen, but it still rankled coach Tom Gravante.

"We made a lot of young mistakes, especially in the offensive side of the field with turnovers," he said. "We've just got to do a better job. We're young."

One bright spot was the play of the defense, especially senior goalkeeper Chris Klaiber. After getting benched in the second quarter of that loss to Maryland in favor of sophomore Frankie McCarthy, Klaiber made a game-best 20 saves Wednesday, including 13 in the first half.

His performance was quite a departure from Saturday's outing, in which he surrendered eight goals and made seven stops, but Klaiber declined to take much solace in his effort against the Hoyas.

"I wish I had 10 more [saves] so that we could win the game," he said. "It really doesn't matter to me how many I had. No. 1 is that we lost, and it's not fun, it's not good. I'm just ready to play. If Coach tells me I'm going in, I go in and I play as hard as I can."

Gravante, who had contemplated starting McCarthy, was pleased that Klaiber rewarded the coach's faith.

"I thought he had a heck of a game for us," Gravante said. "We're still trying to feel that [goalie situation] out a little bit. … Chris gave us a game."

Georgetown scored the first two goals of the game, but with 9:58 left in the second quarter, junior midfielder Clayton Wainer sprinted down the right alley and tucked a shot under the crossbar to trim the deficit to 2-1.

Forty-nine seconds later, the Hoyas regained their two-goal lead when junior midfielder Charles McCormick fired a shot from up top that eluded Klaiber.

Mount St. Mary's got its second goal on a fastbreak begun by senior short-stick defensive midfielder Kyle McDonough. After causing a turnover and scooping up the loose ball, McDonough started a 4-on-3 break and carried it into the offensive zone, where he passed the ball to junior attackman Christian Durham at the left point.

Durham's initial shot banged off the right post, but the ball caromed to Durham, and he deposited the ball into the open net with 4:50 left.

But senior midfielder Grant Fisher needed just 37 seconds to race down the left alley and nail the bottom right corner, and Georgetown ended the quarter with two more goals and was never seriously threatened after that.

The Mountaineers' habit of closing the gap to one only to see the Hoyas respond with a goal of their own was frustrating, Wainer said.


"It seemed that we would get the ball off of a clear and we would push it too hard," he said. "It's something we need to work on. Just settling it down and moving the ball around to find that perfect shot. That's something we needed to do today."

Georgetown (1-0) was paced by McCormick's hat trick and two goals by freshman attackman Peter Conley. Senior attackman Jeff Fountain, a St. Paul's graduate who had two assists, said the team was motivated to avenge last year's 14-6 loss to Mount St. Mary's.

"It was definitely in the back of our minds," Fountain said. "It's a new year and a new team, but we wanted to come out here and put on a good showing for our fans."