Preseason All-American midfielder Sam Snow scored Fairfield's last three goals of the contest, including the game-winner with 4.1 seconds left, leading the No. 18 Stags to a 10-9 victory over the Navy men's lacrosse team (2-1) on a rainy Tuesday afternoon in Fairfield, Conn.

The game featured seven ties, including five in the fourth quarter. After a scoreless third period, the two teams headed into the final quarter  even at 4. Neither team was able to get more than a one-goal lead in the final stanza.

Junior attackman Tucker Hull gave the Midshipmen a 5-4 lead just 34 seconds into the fourth period, but Fairfield's Jordan Greenfield answered just seven seconds later after the Stags won the faceoff.

After being held without a point in the first three quarters, Snow came alive in the fourth and punched in the first of his team-high four goals with 13:06 remaining to push the Stags (2-0) ahead 6-5. Snow's goal was set up after Navy senior midfielder Bryce Dabbs' pass to teammate Pat Durkin went awry and Nick Guida fed Snow. To add insult to injury, Dabbs was called for a one-minute unreleasable illegal body check. Navy, though, was able to kill off the penalty.

Four minutes later, sophomore midfielder Gabe Voumard put the Mids on his shoulders and scored back-to-back goals over a 35-second span to give the Mids a 7-6 advantage with 8:46 to play. Voumard's first goal was scored when Hull's shot bounced off the pipe and into Voumard's stick, while his second of the run came after he powered past his defender down the left alley.

Fairfield tied it at 7 when Greenfield fed Eric Warden from eight yards out on the right wing with 7:07 to go.

Navy junior attackman Sam Jones (Severna Park) put the Mids back up at 8-7 when Hull fed Jones, who found himself wide open in tight with just goalkeeper Jack Murphy to beat.

Snow scored back-to-back goals (5:04, 3:56) to give the Stags a 9-8 lead, including a tough-to-defend low-to-low shot with 3:56 remaining in the contest. Voumard, however, answered with his fourth goal of the game at the 1:23 mark when he again powered his way past his defender and scored from seven yards out.

Navy's Evan McGoogan won the ensuing faceoff, but instead of Navy playing for the final shot, Dabbs took a 15-yard shot from the left wing that went straight into the stick of Murphy. Fairfield, in turn, was able to set up for the final shot, as Greenfield found Snow in the middle of the field and was able to get off a diving shot for the game-winner with 4.1 seconds left.

The game spoiled a sensational performance by senior team captain Nolan Hickey, who made a career-high 15 saves, including multiple door-stop shots. On the opposite side, Murphy was also stellar in goal taking away 14 potential goals by the Mids.

While Voumard paced Navy with four goals, five other players contributed goals, including senior midfielder Jay Mann (Dulaney), who became the 15th Navy player to score a goal this season.

Snow led Fairfield with four goals, while Greenfield chipped in two goals and two assists.
No. 14 Virginia 18, VMI 4: Mark Cockerton scored a career-high six goals, and the Cavaliers (2-0) cruised over the visiting Keydets (0-3).

VMI started the scoring after Bernie Mowbray scored a man-up goal at 13:07 on a pass by Eric Groleau.

After the early VMI goal, it was all Virginia. The Cavaliers held the Keydets scoreless for the next 44:08. When VMI scored its next goal at 13:59 in the fourth quarter, Virginia had already scored 15 straight goals, including Cockerton's six.

Nick O'Reilly and Cockerton took turns scoring the first four goals, finishing the early spurt with two apiece. Then Rob Emery and Cockerton traded goals twice to take the 8-1 advantage. After another Cockerton goal, Owen Van Arsdale got two goals to conclude the first-half scoring.