When the first Bowl Championship Series standings came out this week with Oklahoma ranked first, many people scratched their head — nothing new when it comes to the BCS, which should be sponsored by a dandruff shampoo. The computers must have missed Oklahoma's home opener against Utah State, and two other close games, but these things have a tendency to work out. Or become nightmares such as 2000, '01, '03, '04, '06 and '07. If you have reached the point where you can't trust any rankings, well, feel free also to distrust these.
1. Boise State 6-0 (1): Don't scream BCS murder yet, but go ahead and warm up your vocal cords.
2. Oregon 6-0 (2): Scout shows up and asks if he can clock Ducks' practices on his radar gun.
3. Texas Christian 7-0 (4): Horned Frogs are basically Boise State without campaign funds.
4. Oklahoma 6-0 (5): Rumor is BCS computers and Sooners fell in love on match.com.
5. Utah 6-0 (7): Ready to take role in Walnut Creek musical: South (Division) Pacific (12).
6. Auburn 7-0 (8): SEC replay man earned his wings at War Eagle summer camp.
7. Alabama 6-1 (10): Is it me, or does Vern Lundquist of CBS/SEC say "Oh, my goodness" a lot?
8. Stanford 5-1 (12): Beat USC, only loss to team that's No. 1 in three polls. Isn't this a top 10 team?
9. Arizona 5-1 (14): Fortune cookie injury report: "Key to bowls depends on Nick Foles."
10. Iowa 5-1 (15): Ready to hit Wisconsin with remake of "The Hangover."
11. Michigan State 7-0 (19): Rose Bowl selling possible matchup vs. Boise State as "Spartans vs. Spuds."
12. Wisconsin 6-1 (25): Ohio State reporter's first Tweet back to Columbus: "What hath God Braut."
13. Ohio State 6-1 (3): If it helps, San Jose State also lost in Madison by 13 points.
14. Nebraska 5-1 (6): Bo Pelini first coach to bench leading Heisman candidate during game.
15. Louisiana State 7-0 (18): Computers not allowed to factor margin-of-(Les) Miles component into formula.
16. Florida State 6-1 (16): Enjoying a sort-of well deserved off week after sketchy victory over BC.
17. Oklahoma State 6-0 (20): Schedule fits to a "T": Tulsa, Troy, Texas A & M and Texas Tech.
18. South Carolina 4-2 (9): First time Steve Spurrier has lost his visor, his mind and to Kentucky on the same day.
19. Arkansas 4-2 (11): Hogs earn WAC defensive team of week after allowing 65 to Auburn.
20. Virginia Tech 5-2 (22): Being No. 25 in first BCS standings was not supposed to feel this good.
21. Missouri 6-0 (NR): Has lost 19 of its last 20 formal meetings to Oklahoma, and once on a conference call.
22. Mississippi State 5-2 (NR): It had been a long time since Bulldogs last croaked in the Swamp.
23. West Virginia 5-1 (NR): Big East's mandatory representative in annual BCS all-star game.
24. Nevada 6-1 (17): Lesson of Hawaii backfire: Pistol and salt water don't mix.
25. USC 5-2 (NR): Two plays from being not ranked No. 6 in USA Today coaches' poll.
Dropped out: Florida (24), Miami (23), Air Force (21), Oregon State (13).
Note: Last week's ranking in parentheses