You snooze, you lose in the rankings — unless you're LSU coach Les Miles, who somehow snoozes and wins. This week, the lower quadrant changed in a major way — five out, five in. We'll miss PBS-like, teachable-moment odes to former No. 25 James Madison, and it's a rare week when you have to prepare parting gifts for Texas, USC and Penn State. In Mack Brown, Lane Kiffin and Joe Paterno, the poll is losing two legends and a Boy Scout, along with enough comment material to fill the space beneath an LSU coach's cap.
1. Boise State 4-0 (1): AP will drop team one more spot for warming up against Toledo.
2. Alabama 5-0 (2): Julio Jones (knee) listed as day-to-day along with the rest of us.
3. Oregon 5-0 (4): Pac-10 reprimands can't match team's average of 2.9 plays a minute.
4. Ohio State 5-0 (3): Kid in quad tells others that quarterback's quad not that serious.
5. Texas Christian 5-0 (5): Ace of staff (defense) pitched 93-hit shutout of Colorado State.
6. Oklahoma 5-0 (9): It has been smooth Sooner sailing since squeaker against powerhouse Utah State.
7. Nebraska 4-0 (7): "Hurricane Texas" on Oct. 16 downgraded to a Topical Depression.
8. Arizona 4-0 (10): Oh, brother: Is Mike Stoops on track to play brother Bob for the BCS title?
9. Arkansas 3-1 (11): Returns to Southwest Conference this week to settle score with Texas A&M.
10. Auburn 5-0 (12): Sir Isaac "Cam" Newton dropped 52 apples on Louisiana-Monroe.
11. Utah 4-0 (13): Utes and Colorado are combined 7-1 since accepting Pac-10 invites.
12. Stanford 4-1 (6): Lost satellite feed after you went up 21-3 on Oregon … what happened?
13. Florida 4-1 (8): Just sayin': Boise State might win SEC East this year by two games.
14. Iowa 4-1 (14): Allowed three total points last two weeks to the state schools (Ball and Penn).
15. Miami 4-1 (15): Florida State won't be the same without Bobby Bowden to (field goal) kick around.
16. South Carolina 3-1 (16): Lost Supreme Court trademark battle this week to the real USC.
17. Michigan 5-0 (20): RichRod so confident about job he's going to lease motor home instead of rent.
18. Nevada 5-0 (22): UFO buffs would like to see offense average in the area of 51.
19. Louisiana State 5-0 (17): Baton-down-the-hatches coach needs a lot of work in the rouge zone.
20. Michigan State 5-0 (NR): Doctor prescribes coach heart medicine called "Beatmichiganagain."
21. Oregon State 2-2 (NR): Request: Don't play at home same day as Oregon, or build another road to Portland.
22. Virginia Tech 3-2 (NR): Frank Beamer featured this week on hit cable show "I Survived … James Madison."
23. Oklahoma State 5-0 (NR): Can anyone around here give us directions to Louisiana-Lafayette?
24. Air Force 4-1 (NR): Sky is always the limit when you have access to fighter jets.
25. Wisconsin 4-1 (18): Dairymen quote scripture to cope with defeat: "To every season, churn, churn, churn."
Dropped out: James Madison (25), North Carolina State (24), Texas (23), Penn State (21), USC (19).