Christian Kessee scored a career-high 23 points and the Coppin State men's basketball team extended the nation's longest losing streak by beating winless Florida A&M, 87-75, on Monday.

The visiting Rattlers lost their 18th straight this season, a school record. Central Arkansas (0-16) is the only other winless team in Division I.


Coppin State (2-16, 1-4 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) was up by 14 with 5:44 left in the first half and used a 14-2 run to push its lead to 49-23 at the break.

Florida A&M came out firing in the second half. A 21-2 run to start the frame — including 12 points from Jermaine Ruttley — made it a 10-point game at the midway mark.

The Rattlers got as close as six on Craig Bowman's 3-pointer with 28 seconds left.

Taariq Cephas added 22 points for Coppin State.

Ruttley paced FAMU with 21 points, and Quentin Bastian had a career-high 20.

South Carolina State 73, UMES 72, OT: Edward Stephens scored seven of his 26 points after regulation, including a deep, leaning 3-pointer with two seconds left that stood as the game-winner.

Greg Mortimer added a career-high 21 points for visiting South Carolina State (6-14, 4-2 MEAC).

Stephens made two of three free throws to pull the Bulldogs within two with 1:58 left in overtime, and after a turnover by UMES (10-10, 3-2), Darryl Palmer's put-back of a miss by Stephens tied it at 70 with 1:18 to go.

Devon Walker missed a 3-pointer for the Hawks, but Mike Myers grabbed the offensive rebound. He was fouled as he made a layup but couldn't convert the three-point play with 37 seconds remaining.

South Carolina State burned some clock before Stephens hit the winner.

The Bulldogs went scoreless for nearly nine minutes in the second half, and UMES took a 59-48 lead with seven minutes left, but Stephens scored seven during a 16-5 run to close regulation.

Hartford 65, UMBC 63: Corban Wroe scored 21 points and visiting Hartford held on for a narrow win.

Taylor Dyson and Wroe nailed 3-pointers and Wroe made a layup on consecutive possessions to give the Hawks (11-7, 4-1 American East Conference) a 60-50 lead with 4:33 left before the Retrievers (2-16, 0-5) responded with eight straight points. Cody Joyce's basket with 23 seconds left made it a two-point game.

Hartford made four free throws, but Wayne Sparrow (St. Frances) hit a 3-pointer with 5 seconds left to make it 64-63. But after Yolonzo Moore II made a free throw with one second left, UMBC couldn't get a last-second look.


Sparrow had 24 points and Joyce 17 for the Retrievers.

Dyson had 14 points for the Hawks, who shot 51 percent, including 9-for-18 from 3-point range. Wroe and Dyson combined to go 8-for-11 behind the arc.


Hartford 70, UMBC 63: Junior guards Capree Garner and Liz McNaughton combined to hit seven of 13 3-pointers, but the visiting Retrievers fell short against Hartford in America East play.

UMBC's defense was able to turn Hartford over 25 times, but a 24-5 run by Hartford in the last 10 minutes of the first half proved to be a tough hole to come out of.

The Retrievers did all they could to come back down the stretch, pulling within three, 63-60, with 1:29 to go in the contest, but Hartford hung on, hitting five of six from the free-throw line in the final 30 seconds to pick up the victory.

Garner registered a game-high 18 points, while McNaughton chipped in 14 points and four rebounds for the Retrievers. Sophomore forward Amanda Hagaman added nine points and five rebounds. Senior center Dana Lewis finished with seven points and seven rebounds.

Hartford improves to 10-9 on the season and 4-1 in league play, while the Retrievers drop to 6-12, 1-4.

Bethune-Cookman 55, Morgan State 48: The host Bears' three-game winning streak came to an end.

The win, the second straight for the Lady Wildcats at Hill Field House, tied the series at 27 games apiece.

Bethune-Cookman (6-12, 3-3 MEAC), which never trailed in the game, was led by Kendra Cooper, who scored a game-high 18 points for the Wildcats.

Morgan State (6-12, 3-3), which fell to 4-3 at home this season, was led by Braennan Farrar's team-high 15 points and game-high three steals. Tracey Carrington finished with 12 points and Torri Chestnut came off the bench to add a season-best nine.

Fairleigh Dickinson 78, Mount St. Mary's 56: Despite 17 points and nine rebounds from junior center Sarafina Arthur-Williams, a four-game winning streak came to an end for the Mountaineers (6-11, 4-2 Northeast Conference).

The host Knights (5-12, 2-4), meanwhile, won their second straight NEC game.

Arthur-Williams led three Mount St. Mary's scorers in double figures, with Jenn Carney posting 15 points and five assists and Jacqueline Brewer adding 13 points. The Mountaineers shot 39.6 percent overall.

The Mount tied the score at 20 on Jody Chickey's jumper from the left elbow as the shot clock was expiring with 8:20 left in the first half. After a stop on the defensive end, Chickey finished at the rim off an assist from Arthur-Williams for a 22-20 lead.

Fairleigh Dickinson, which shot 48.4 percent in the first half, was able to respond with a 16-5 run over the last seven minutes to take a 36-27 lead at intermission.

After their lead grew to 11, the Knights used a 7-0 run for a 63-45 advantage with 7:26 remaining. The Mount cut the deficit down to 14 points, but that was as close as the visitors would get as Fairleigh Dickinson pulled away.

South Carolina State 64, UMES 59: In their closest game of the season, the Hawks came up short at home.

With the loss, the Hawks dropped to 6-9, 3-2 MEAC, while the Bulldogs moved to 10-7, 3-3.

Recommended on Baltimore Sun