Broadneck ends Severna Park boys soccer's unbeaten streak with 2-1 win

Opportunistic on offense and dogged on defense, the Broadneck boys soccer team accomplished something against Severna Park on Thursday that no other team has since 2012.

The No. 11 Bruins got a goal from junior midfielder Ford Murphy midway through the second half and sturdy work on defense the rest of the way to earn a 2-1 win over the defending Class 4A state champion Falcons, ending Severna Park's 27-game unbeaten streak.

Severna Park went 17-0-2 last season. The No. 2 Falcons, now 7-1-1 and 5-1-1 in Anne Arundel, finally found their match Thursday at Kinder Farm Park as the Bruins improved to 8-1-1 and stayed undefeated in county play at 7-0.

Senior defender Will Hankins, assigned to mark the Falcons' All-Metro senior forward Daniel Kwon, was understandably tired following the game. But it was a good kind of tired.

"It was an incredible defensive effort. ... Miseker and Kwon are just an incredible pair," Hankins said. "But we finished a couple of great ones up top and that was enough. It's a great win for us. I'm a senior and this is the first time we've beat them. I think this could mean great things for the rest of the season, so we'll see."

Bryce Ziemer, Patrick Mahan, John Torres and Trevor Wiggins also played key roles in containing Kwon and Severna Park's other dangerous forward, Miseker Wingate,. Goalie Hunter Davis had eight saves.

Murphy one-timed a shot from 18 yards away that found the near post for the 2-1 lead with 17:30 to play after a poor clear by Severna Park. It was the junior's third goal of the season.

"We got a great throw in from Trevor and I was on the trash, which means I come up to get anything they clear," Murphy said. "It came to my feet and tried to keep my composure. It just came from hard work from everybody and some luck."

The Bruins took a 1-0 lead two minutes into the game when senior Nate Watkins finished a chance from Eric Hertel.

Shortly before the goal at the other end, a Bruins defender played a ball back to Davis, who played it with his hands but wasn't called for a violation. Instead, he was allowed to punt, which started the rush that led to the goal.

The Falcons evened the game when Wingate hit a heavy shot from 20 yards away with six minutes left in the first half.

After Murphy gave Broadneck the lead again in the second half, the Falcons again pressed, but the Bruins wouldn't budge. Severna Park coach Ryan Parisi was ejected from the game late in the second half after receiving a second yellow card for dissent with the head referee.

"It's not a feeling we've had very often and not one we enjoyed," Falcons assistant coach Sam Novy said after the loss.

No. 11 Broadneck 2, No. 2 Severna Park 1

Goals: B – Watkins, Murphy; SP -- Wingate

Assists: B -- Hertel

Saves: B – Davis 8; SP – Wishart 5

Half: 1-1

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad