As a B1G guy (an intern from Iowa), I'd like to personally welcome Maryland to our great conference. While it's official today, it probably won’t feel official until Oct. 4., when you guys play Ohio State. In other news, a lot more sports things happened yesterday, so catch up here at the Coffee Companion, where we recap yesterday's sports headlines.
– Ubaldo Jimenez earned his first win since May 8 as the Orioles dominated the Rangers, 7-1. The Orioles hit four home runs while Jimenez held Texas to just four hits and one unearned run over eight innings.
– Frank Cashen, a former Orioles executive, died on Monday. He was 88.
– You should click on this link right here and get to know the other Big Ten teams.
– Speaking of B1G, the President of the Big Ten Network talked yesterday about how Maryland football would be covered in the fall.
Germany, France advance
– France cruised into the World Cup quarterfinals with a 2-nil victory over Nigeria. There, they’ll face Germany, which scored twice in extra time for a 2-1 win over Algeria.
– The U.S. plays Belgium today in the Round of 16. The stakes are easy: Win and move on to (likely) play Argentina, or lose and go home. (Also, avoid Belgian Waffles at all costs, because patriotism.)