I said yesterday in the Coffee Companion, where every weekday we recap the local sports headlines, that the Orioles cursed themselves by saying a six-man rotation was a possibility. Well…
- Chris Tillman failed to get out of the second inning for the second time in four starts, as the Orioles fell to Texas, 8-6, in the final game of their 11-game road trip. Needless to say, the team is ready to come home for a 10 games against the A’s, Red Sox, and Blue Jays.
- Maryland pitcher Jake Stinnett, who is expected to start Saturday in the school’s first-ever NCAA Super Regional against Virginia, was selected No. 45 overall by the Cubs.
- Stinnett’s teammate, St. Paul's alum LaMonte Wade, has been a key cog of their Super Regional run with more than just his bat.
- In some leftover news from OTAs, John Harbaugh had some praise for second-year defensive lineman Brandon Williams.
- Plenty of Belmont Stakes advances, with rivals trainers explaining how California Chrome could lose, and other Triple Crown contenders who fell short explaining what the horse is in for. We also have our betting tips for Saturday.
Can't stand the Heat
- I was watching the draft, so I didn't see the basketball, but apparently the Spurs pulled the old "hot gym" trick on Miami in a 110-95 win to open the NBA Finals. Not going to find me bashing LeBron James here, though. I spent July 2011 down here without air conditioning and barely survived, let alone played basketball in it.