I woke up super early to try to get out to Pimlico, decided against it because it was crummy out, then fell back asleep for a little too long. So this is more like a Brunch Buddy than a Coffee Companion. But every other weekday morning, we compile the most important local sports headlines in this very space.
- The Preakness post positions were set Wednesday night, with Kentucky Derby winner drew the third post and has morning line odds of 3-5. That makes him the overwhelming favorite. Here’s the rest of the horses’ bios, post positions, and odds.
- The Bob Baffert-trained Bayern is poised to make a run, with the Arkansas Derby winner put at 10-1 after the draw.
- The Orioles hit the road on a four-game losing streak but are still a half-game up on Boston in the AL East. Kevin Gausman’s 2014 debut didn’t go as planned and the Orioles comeback fell short against the Tigers.
- Before the game, Buck Showalter said the difference between sticking with Jim Johnson and potentially sticking with Tommy Hunter is the players’ experience.
- The Ravens signed River Hill graduate Michael Campanero ahead of this week’s mini-camp for rookies.
- Aaron Wilson also has the signing bonuses for the Ravens’ undrafted free agents.
- The Bruins lost Game 7 at home to Montreal, and the Canadiens move on to face the New York Rangers beginning Saturday in the Eastern Conference Finals. Los Angeles won 2-1 at home over Anaheim to force a Game 7 tomorrow at 9 p.m.
- Last year’s NBA finalists both sealed conference final spots, with Miami topping Brooklyn 96-94 and San Antonio smoking Portland 104-82.