Loyola men's soccer to play rest of season without starting goalkeeper

Loyola’s 3-1 loss to No. 21 UMBC Saturday night was somewhat curious due to the absence of several members of the team, including the Greyhounds' starting goalkeeper.

Senior Thurman Van Riper will miss the remainder of the season after suffering serious facial injuries during the team’s 2-1 decision against Princeton last Wednesday.

"He was in a collision with a forward from Princeton late in the second half, and he got taken to [Maryland] Shock Trauma," coach Mark Mettrick said Monday. "He had a five-hour operation on Friday for facial injuries. He broke his nose, he broke his cheekbones on both sides and had to have major surgery. And he's done for the season."

Fifth-year senior Zach Kane, making his first start since 2009, made four saves against the Retrievers.

"I think he did well," Mettrick said. "Obviously, it was quite a debut for him this season. He’s a local player from Perry Hall, so he was acquainted with playing against some of his friends. I think the goalkeeper for UMBC [fifth-year senior Phil Saunders] is a Perry Hall guy, too. So he stepped in and did well and for the rest of the season, we're going to need him. So hopefully, he’s going to step up."

The Greyhounds (5-1-1) also played without sophomore forward Larry Ndjock, who has scored seven goals this fall. Ndjock was assessed a red card in that win against Princeton and is serving a mandatory two-game suspension, which the school is appealing.

If Ndjock doesn’t play Saturday against Patriot League rival Holy Cross, junior forward Andrew Waddington is expected to play in Ndjock’s absence.

Mettrick also was not on the sideline after he was issued a red card in the game against the Tigers. Mettrick said it was the first time in his career that he had drawn a red card.

"It had never happened before to me, and it was very strange," he said. "I wasn’t allowed to have any contact an hour before the game and an hour after the game. So it was a very strange situation. It was a tough experience, but my assistant Matt [Dwyer] took over the reins and did a good job."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad