Each morning, Monday through Friday, I'll hook you up with reading material to skim through as you slug down coffee and slack off at the start of your workday -- that way I'll have an excuse to do the same at the start of mine.
Running it back:
The Orioles' second-half schedule began Thursday night much like the first half ended, with an early deficit turning into an 8-4 loss to the Indians. ... Vladimir Guerrero sat out the game with a hand injury. ... The Orioles were not happy with the suspensions handed out to Kevin Gregg and Buck Showalter after last week's brawl with the Red Sox. ... Maryland will pay Randy Edsall $2 million per year and Mark Turgeon $1.9 million annually. Turgeon's assistant Dalonte Hill is being paid $300,000. ... The Turkey Bowl, Baltimore's annual Thanksgiving high school football game featuring Calvert Hall and Loyola, will be played at Towson University this year.
Hitting the links:
1. Tom Verducci on the Orioles at the All-Star break [SI]
2. It wasn't supposed to go down like this [The Loss Column]
3. Buck Showalter can't extend his success with the Orioles [AP]
5. Where is the velocity? [Baltimore Sports Report]
6. How many wins will the O's finish with? [Orioles Insider]
10. Harrison kind of said that he was sorry [ESPN]
12. Former Terp Steve Blake is playing hoops for one of my favorite rappers, The Game [Yahoo]
13. A Q&A with Towson AD Mike Waddell [PressBox]
You said it:
"There will be high schoolers across the Baltimore area this fall who have never known a decent Orioles squad in their lifetimes- Angelos has lost an entire generation of fans! Now, the team stands to drive away the last remnants of its fanbase, and with it any chance of long-term relevancy. Thank you Peter Angelos." -- reader View from the 500 Level vents about the Orioles
Video of the morning:
This baseball expert knows nothing about Roger Clemens and his perjury trial because he isn't actually a baseball expert [via Hot Clicks]
Send me your funny and/or interesting links, photos, YouTube videos, blogs, Tweets, comments, emails, ideas, etc. If I deem them to be worthy for the blog, I’ll give you a plug. You can reach me at Matt.Vensel@baltsun.com and twitter.com/mattvensel.