A possible four-team trade that could have sent Denver Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony to the New Jersey Nets has fallen apart, according to multiple media reports Tuesday.
The Utah Jazz and Charlotte Bobcats reportedly were in talks about a deal that would have sent Nets rookie Derrick Favors and future draft choices to the Nuggets.
With the discussion swirling, Anthony began training camp Tuesday with his Denver teammates.
The three-time All-Star said he was happy to get back on the court. "It's just basketball now. I felt great. The first day of practice, I think it was a lot of teaching and going over X's and O's, strategy. I feel good, though," Anthony told the Denver Post.
Practicing was a way to escape. "Yeah, this is my safe haven right here. When I come here, I ain't got to deal with all the other stuff," Anthony said.
Anthony, 26, turned down a three-year, $65 million extension from the Nuggets during the offseason.
Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri, who was hired last month, hoped to persuade Anthony to stick with Denver. But over the weekend Denver was close to a mega deal to move Anthony.
When Anthony showed up Monday at the Nuggets media day, he said he had never asked to be traded.
"I'm leaving my options open right now," said Anthony, who will be a free agent after the season. "At the end of the season, I'll sit down with my team, I'll sit down with the Nuggets, and we'll talk about it."