Maryland holds off Johns Hopkins

Returning to M&T Bank Stadium had a familiar feeling for the Maryland men's lacrosse team.

Six weeks after outlasting then-No. 6 Duke in overtime at the Konica Minolta Face-Off Classic at the stadium that the Ravens call home, the No. 5 Terps weathered a late rally and held off No. 15 Johns Hopkins, 10-9, before 20,911 in the second game of the Smartlink Day of Rivals doubleheader Saturday night.

In both games at M&T Bank Stadium, Maryland enjoyed a 10-7 advantage late in the fourth quarter before its opponents mounted comebacks. But unlike the contest against the Blue Devils who pushed the game into overtime, the Terps clamped down on the Blue Jays.

Trailing by three with 6:56 left in the fourth quarter, Johns Hopkins got goals from senior attackman Steven Boyle and senior midfielder Michael Kimmel within a 51-second span to trim the deficit to one with 60 seconds left.

But Maryland senior Bryn Holmes won the ensuing face-off – his 13th out of 21 attempts in the game – and the Terps ran enough time off the clock to prevent the Blue Jays from taking a shot to force overtime.

"We practice finishing strong every time," redshirt junior long-stick midfielder Brian Farrell said. "We keep our composure. If you look at the game against Duke, they scored with [13] seconds left, and then we kept our composure in overtime. So we're a calm team. We always keep our heads up."

Maryland improved to 8-2 and snapped a three-game losing streak to the Blue Jays. Its only the fourth time in the last 16 meetings that the Terps have emerged with a win in this series.

Maryland trailed 4-3 at halftime, but blanketed Johns Hopkins in the second half allowing just six shots and 4-of-13 face-offs. That was a far cry from the first half when the Blue Jays took 15 shots and won 5-of-9 face-offs.

"We held possession pretty much the whole entire third quarter," said senior goalkeeper Brian Phipps (eight saves). "[Junior defenseman] Brett Schmidt and I were joking and saying that we could do this all game. Give credit to our middies and our attack for holding the ball and scoring with possession."

Johns Hopkins' lone goal in the third quarter – a blast from senior midfielder Michael Kimmel with 5:51 left in the period – snapped a 23-minute scoreless drought.

Meanwhile, the Terps offense, which seemed to slumber its way through the first half, awakened quickly courtesy of goals from junior attackman Travis Reed and sophomore midfielder Drew Snider within a 62-second span in the first 2:57 of the third quarter.

Junior attackman Grant Catalino and Reed paced the Terps with two goals and one assists each. Junior attackman Ryan Young registered one goal and two assists, while senior Will Yeatman added one goal and one assist in his first game since April 5 when he broke his left thumb during practice.

Kimmel led the Blue Jays with four points on two goals and two assists, and Boyle scored three times. But Johns Hopkins (5-6) lost for the fifth time in six games because, in part, the offense whiffed on six man-up opportunities in the first half and finished just 1-of-7 with the extra man.

On the other hand, Maryland converted all four of its man-up situations.

"It's been a bone of contention," coach Dave Pietramala said of the special teams' play. "We need to improve this."

Notes: Maryland senior midfielder Adam Sear scored his team-leading sixth man-up goal of the season. … Boyle became the 19th player in Blue Jays history to reach the 150-point mark in his career. He also became the 13th player to record 90 goals and 60 assists in his career.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad