Comment (last week's rank)
1. Cavaliers 43-11 (1): Full of themselves, er, so confident they may not make a deal after all.
2. Lakers 41-13 (2): Now we know what the problem was: Too many stars.
3. Nuggets 35-18 (3): Lakers of Rockies trail real ones by
5 1/2 for all-important home court.
4. Magic 36-18 (4): Reports of Vince Carter's death apparently exaggerated: Scores 48 to end slump.
5. Hawks 33-18 (5): Proving they still have some Hawk in them, lost last one at home to Miami.
6. Jazz 32-19 (7): Problem matchup: Went 13-1 before losing to Lakers at home without Kobe Bryant.
7. Celtics 32-18 (6): Just lost to Hornets without Chris Paul. Next: Four-game West Coast trip.
9. Spurs 30-21 (10): Hello, garbage heap of history: 35-15 at break last season.
10. Thunder 30-21 (11): Two-man show or no two-man show, they were 13-40 at break last season.
12. Raptors 29-23 (14): Leader in Chris Bosh Derby? 21-34 at break in '09, 11-17 on Dec. 16, 18-6 since.
13. Trail Blazers 31-24 (12): Phil Jackson has them guessing: Nate McMillan says sitting Kobe Bryant was psychological ploy.
14. Rockets 27-24 (13): Still have hottest property on market: Tracy McGrady's expiring $23 million deal.
15. Grizzlies 26-25 (15): 15-37 at break in '09 when they would have been 1,000-1 to be in race in '10.
16. Bobcats 26-25 (16): D.J. Augustin, whom Larry Brown wanted over Brook Lopez, can be had for phone call.
17. Hornets 28-25 (20): Darren Collison happens, averaging 18
over six, but they're 2-4 without Chris Paul.
18. Bucks 24-27 (17): Hottest team in East race for No. 8, closed 6-2 as Andrew Bogut averaged 17-12.
19. Heat 26-27 (19): Pat Riley at crossroads: Upgrade now (Amare Stoudemire?) to help Dwyane Wade, or gut it out?
20. Bulls 25-26 (18): Oops: Derrick Rose joins Joakim Noah on sideline, leaving instant D-league team.
21. Clippers 21-31 (21): They don't make honeymoons the way they used to.
22. 76ers 20-32 (27): Andre Igoudala, Elton Brand look likeliest to leave as trade rumors swirl.
23. Knicks 19-32 (22): Mike D'Antoni kept them respectable - at cost of junking plan to showcase Eddy Curry.
25. Wizards 17-33 (24): Can't trade Gilbert Arenas, they like Antawn Jamison, so Butler, Haywood get tickets to ride.
27. Pacers 18-34 (23): Reggie Miller: Drawing No. 1 pick only way out of post-Auburn Hills fall.
28. Timberwolves 13-40 (28): Al Jefferson back, averages 11, shoots 85 percent in fourth quarters of 4-0 run.
29. Warriors 14-37 (29): Don Nelson is 11 wins from Lenny Wilkens' record - which may be all keeping him there.
30. Nets 4-48 (30): Rick Pitino denies interest in job, which means he wants the job.
Discuss this story and others in our talk forums Most recent sports talk forum topics: More sports talk forums: Orioles | Ravens | Pro Sports | College | Lacrosse | High School | Outdoors Note: In-story commenting has been temporarily disabled due to technical issues. We are working to correct the issue and will bring back this feature in the future. In the meantime, please use our talk forums to discuss stories.