Robert Olson scored five points during a 9-0 Loyola run midway through the second half and the host Greyhounds defeated Marist, 76-63, in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opener for both teams Thursday night at Reitz Arena.

Loyola (5-1 overall, 1-0 MAAC) ended a five-game losing streak in MAAC openers and improved to 5-1 for the first time since the 2005-06 season, which was also the last time the Greyhounds won their first conference game of the year.


After Loyola took the lead with the 9-0 run, Marist twice trimmed the Greyhounds' advantage to four, the final time coming on a 3-pointer by Manny Thomas from the right corner at 6:03.

After Thomas' 3, Olson made a 3 at 4:32, sparking another Loyola run, this one going 15-3 and covering almost 4:16.

Dylon Cormier (Cardinal Gibbons) finished with 15 points, leading five Loyola players in double figures. Erik Etherly had 14 points and 10 rebounds, while Justin Drummond chipped in with 14 off the bench. Olson and Shane Walker both scored 11.

Chavaughn Lewis scored a game-high 16 for Marist (2-4, 0-1).

American 69, UMBC 58: Chase Plummer scored 18 points, but the visiting Retrievers dropped to 0-7.

UMBC committed a season-low 10 turnovers and outrebounded the Eagles 41-36 but hit only seven of 27 shots from the field in the second half.

American (7-2) won its sixth straight game and is 5-0 at Bender Arena.

Plummer nearly pulled off a doubledouble with a team-high nine rebounds. Junior Ryan Cook (St. Vincent Pallotti) added 13 points and seven rebounds. Senior post player Jake Wasco scored a season-high 10 points.

American's Charles Hinkle, who entered the game averaging 23 points, led the Eagles with 18.

St. Francis (N.Y.) 64, Mount St. Mary's 54: The host Mount (1-5, 0-1 Northeast Conference) dropped its Northeast Conference opener.

Freshman Kelvin Parker paced the Mount with 16points in the loss.

Mount St. Mary's used a 7-0 run early in the first half to take an 11-9 advantage, helped by four points from Julian Norfleet.  The Terriers (2-4, 1-0), however, answered with an 11-2 spurt to take a seven-point advantage.

St. Francis held the lead throughout the half behind a strong performance from 3-point range.  The Terriers hit six of 15 (.400) from beyond the arc in the opening half to grab a 28-19 lead.

St. Mary's 85, Christopher Newport 77: Four Seahawks scored in double figures to beat the host Captains (4-3).


First-year guard Nick LaGuerre (Lansdowne) paced the Seahawks (4-2) with 15 points off the bench. LaGuerre was 4-for-4 from the field and the free-throw line.

St. Mary's shot 41.2 percent from the arc while the Captains perimeter shooters connected on only one of 10 tries.


Cincinnati 64, Morgan State 60: Trailing by 10 at the half, the visiting Bears (2-3) cut into the lead but never overtook the Bearcats (6-0).

Morgan's Amarah Williams went 2-for-2 from the line to tie the score at 46 with 7:51 left to play. That was the closest Morgan State got in the second half.

Dekeisha Mathis led the Bears with 19 points.

Johns Hopkins 45, Gettysburg 37: The host Blue Jays (5-1, 2-1 Centennial Conference) found their rhythm late in the first half.

Chantel Mattiola made a long jumper as time expired in the first to pull Hopkins within 20-19. The Blue Jays and Bullets (2-4, 1-2) traded the last nine baskets of the half.

McDaniel 58, Dickinson 46: The visiting Green Terror scored 12 of the final 13 points in the first half to take an eight-point lead.

Emma Wingerd had 15 points and nine rebounds to lead McDaniel, which improved to 5-1 for the first time since 2003-04 and to 3-0 in Centennial play for the first time since 2004-05.

Washington College 55, Haverford 49: The visiting Shorewomen (2-2, 1-2 Centennial) trailed by 11 at the half before rallying to win.

Erin Fitzgerald  had a doubledouble and career-best 11points and 13 rebounds for Washington College.

The Fords (4-2, 1-2) used an 11-0 run to take an 18-7 lead.

Mitchell came off the bench to lead all scorers with 14points, and Meghan Tait added 12.

Rensselaer 67, Salisbury 66, OT: Lexi Kebetz (18points) hit a 3-pointer to give the host Sea Gulls (2-3) a 59-56 lead in the first minute of overtime.

The Engineers (3-2) held Salisbury scoreless for the next 31/2 minutes to win at the Optimist Classic.